• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Knicks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

And we failed to punish them in transition all night, given their front court was cheating for offensive boards...

This...

I was impressed with NY's tempo.  They were running.  They were trying to get us with run outs. 

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think if they played head to head vs the 2021 Hawks team they would win.

I don't know.  This is a hard one.   We had better shooters.   When you talk about  Gallo, Bogi, Kev, Hunter, and JC not injured... What made that team work so well was the ability to hit shots.   It opened the floor for the 1/4 and 1/5 PNR.    It was simple basketball but effective. 

DJ has been doing great and so has Bogi and Bey.  But we are not the same shooters. 

2023 -2024  3pt% - 35.5%

2020 - 2021  3pt% - 37.3%

Just in case you're wondering..  2022-2023 3pt% - 35.3%

The ability to spread the floor is very important. 

I also noted that Gallo and Delon are both shooting 36.4% from three.    Bogi - 35% right now.   Patty Mills hasn't played 1 minute. 

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Honeymoon is officially over for Quin Snyder, after tonight.

So we get another coach ?   What happened to all the stuff over the off-season they were doing , and how they played early, well, teams decided to take that away, remember Timberwolves years who woulda thought teams didn't want to allow 40 to 20 runs.  They take it away because they can apparently,  were not going through 4 coaches on basically the same roster. 

Edited by hylndr11
  • Sad 1

While they can't do everything they were doing earlier in those game they can pick up the pace, they were all over the place in their game now they have slowed back down, not sure what that reason is unless it only took a few weeks of trh season for them to tune out quin already and in that case we need to reset anyway

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

This was the first game I question some of Quin's moves. Contrast that with the last two coaches we've had. 

This was a winnable game if we punished NY for crashing the boards and played the hot hands down the line. 

I'm not saying that I am giving Quin a break, but I will say that this was the second night of a back to back.  We spent most of the night fighting back.   But yeah... we should have play Bogi and Bey until they gave out. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hylndr11 said:

is it though- you learn those lessons coaching HS basketball.  Should never have gotten there.

Touch your toes. Uh huh, didn’t think so…

Should have never gotten there… paaaaaleeeeaaaasssee… :patriot: Gomer Pyle up in this bit.

8 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

A team this young looking this washed up is insane.

Trae Young is an unathletic Russell Westbrook.

The EFG, assists, and turnovers are all the same.

You couldn’t win with Westbrook as your "Star" player either.....

Not to mention sleepy Dre and washed up Capela in the starting 5.

Hawks are doomed...:sad:

Thats nearly 80 mill a year right there.. smh

Trade deadline and offseason cant get here fast enough...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I wouldnt be sad if we traded Hunter tomorrow

Yesterday, he’s done. Hunter gotta go, Landry has to work the phones, Hunter, Capela, shape this hung right. Both of them got nothing but negatives from here on out to offer us. 

Hunter is naturally a slow twitch fiber guy and there ain’t a thing spending a whole summer in the gym could fix about that, fast twitch is slow, his mind thinks slow, he is missing on the wing on open shots more than making them, dude is absolutely KILLING US AS A TEAM.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Watching guys that cannot give enough effort to pick up a loose ball between their legs is a negative fan experience.

He just can’t. I don’t think it’s his fault anymore I just don’t think he has it in him to hustle… as a person, prolly a wonderful guy and the nicest I’m sure, what I see as a player on the Hawks, I don’t like it, I hate it actually.

Hardest loss of the season.  That seven point lead evaporating in about a minutes was TOUGH to watch.  In addition to Bogi and Bey working, they put Jalen on Brunson to slow him down.  NY switched to a two man game with Quickley and Randle.  They ate Trae's ass, but the other issue was Hunter missing the loose ball and losing Brunson for the three.  

That sequence with Trae and Hunter giving the lead back was brutal.  Hunter coming back to earth after a hot start coincides with the return of .500 Hawks.  Been saying for years now, Hunter has no intangibles.  He is playable, but he's not a winning player.  Our starting frontline is too mediocre.  Moving away from JC was the right call, but we still have personnel problems.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Coaches are so reluctant to deviate from their rotations. It must be due to locker room politics more so than strategy. 

Reminds me of this clip when Quin Synder  literally told a player he wasn't going to play much because the other player is making $20m and you are making $5m.

• Thanks 1

QUIN SNYDER, THIS LOSS IS 100% ON YOU!

With 5 minutes and change left in the 4th quarter, Hawks had a 7 point lead.  You removed the two hottest shooting players out and they never returned until Bogie was allowed to make a last second heave which was an air ball.

With their 7 point lead they saw NY hit 2+3+3 = 8 and the lead was gone.  Where was Bey and Bogie?  On the pine.  Why?  Because they weren't starters.  The starters played most of the 1st quarter and we all know how that turned out.

Starters couldn't compete.  They allowed too many 3 point plays without an answer.  Meanwhile, Bey and Bogie sat.  Hottest shooters on the team.  Yes, Quin Snyder, you could have played your hottest shooters in the final five minutes.  

:ahf:

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, yungsta said:

Reminds me of this clip when Quin Synder  literally told a player he wasn't going to play much because the other player is making $20m and you are making $5m.

Not surprising.  Coaching decisions are often driven by front office agendas and objectives and not on court results.  In the end, you generally get poorer outcomes when you play and fearure subpar players because they have bigger contracts.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Nah...

Brunson faced one double team tonight and nearly shit a brick.  Brunson doesn't go left without his right.  Hunter and Jalen (I believe) lined up on his right hand and shaded him left and he couldn't do anything.

Trae faces Double teams on the regular. 

JJ and hunter didn’t do anything with Brunson. Brunson was just missing shots he usually makes. He was blowing by them and getting to his spots with ease. 

The truth hurts unfortunately. The only thing young is better at than Brunson is passing.

Tbh I have no qualms about moving on from young and just building around JJ.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if we traded Hunter or CC, but everyone clamoring to do so after bad performances will be the same ones complaining about the crappy return we’d get if we did trade them. 
Problem is, upgrades/depth at starting SF and C are what we need the most, and we aren’t going to get that trading either of these guys. We’re low on draft capital, so our best option is to trade Bogi and/or AJ who have value now at a position we have excess depth.
Best thing to do now with Hunter and CC is for the coaching staff to work overtime working with them to build them back up & raise their value before the off season if we’re going to move them.

Ironically, if they do get better, everyone will fall in love with them again and will want to keep them.