• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Mavericks

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Back to the discussion on LP.  What else does LP need to maximize success in Atlanta?  This may not be the biggest reason for it, but the defense has improved this year and it happens to coincide with the addition of Nate McMillan to the staff.  Does he need to add an offense oriented coach that is better at the x's and o's than he is?

The same thing Kenny needed. Time and experience 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So LP, what are you going to do about it? Us falling apart defensively and not being able to close teams out isn't exactly new for us this season. Reminds me of another talented-but-frustratingly-mediocre Atlanta team I know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

IOW......it's on the players not me.  At some point, failing to figure out how to stop teams in the 4th quarter and put games away that you've controlled all night falls back on the coach.  Maybe we aren't there yet for some, but I don't personally buy into LP not being at all culpable in all the blown leads.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

IOW......it's on the players not me.  At some point, failing to figure out how to stop teams in the 4th quarter and put games away that you've controlled all night falls back on the coach.  Maybe we aren't there yet for some, but I don't personally buy into LP not being at all culpable in all the blown leads.  

This is actually my biggest issue with LP.   Says way too much.   There's a reason coaches use coach speak or are opaque like Pop.   You go on and on about the issues of the team you're going to sound like you're pointing fingers whether you are or not.   But i agree with you here.  It definitely smacks of 'guys just didn't play hard' even if that wasn't his intent.   How does that go over in the locker room?   Could Capela have brought some 'defensive intensity' instead of going to bed with an extra foul to give?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is actually my biggest issue with LP.   Says way too much.   There's a reason coaches use coach speak or are opaque like Pop.   You go on and on about the issues of the team you're going to sound like you're pointing fingers whether you are or not.   But i agree with you here.  It definitely smacks of 'guys just didn't play hard' even if that wasn't his intent.   How does that go over in the locker room?   Could Capela have brought some 'defensive intensity' instead of going to bed with an extra foul to give?

Long 3's need to stop! Trae hit 1 shot in the 2nd half primarily because of this. We never seem to want to stop this behavior and when the team loses, the blame goes else where. Missed long 3's lead to long rebounds and a chance for the other team to run out and also they allow the other team to play faster. Stop the step back long 3's and tell Cam to attack the rim rather than settle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Long 3's need to stop! Trae hit 1 shot in the 2nd half primarily because of this. We never seem to want to stop this behavior and when the team loses, the blame goes else where. Missed long 3's lead to long rebounds and a chance for the other team to run out and also they allow the other team to play faster. Stop the step back long 3's and tell Cam to attack the rim rather than settle.

I know this is your pet topic to harp on, but against the Mavs, they only took 3 long 3 pts shots in the 4th quarter and made 2 of them.  Trae was 1-2 and Kevin was 1-1 on shots 30+ feet. The next longest shot was Cam at 28 feet.  After that they were all at the line or just beyond the line.  

Also, the one that Trae missed happened 30 seconds into the quarter during the Mavs 7-0 run.  Bad time and bad shot, but you make it seem like they take 5 or 6 in the 4th quarter.  That's just not true.  And Trae taking and missing the one with 11:30 left in the game is hardly the reason they lost.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I know this is your pet topic to harp on, but against the Mavs, they only took 3 long 3 pts shots in the 4th quarter and made 2 of them.  Trae was 1-2 and Kevin was 1-1 on shots 30+ feet. The next longest shot was Cam at 28 feet.  After that they were all at the line or just beyond the line.  

Also, the one that Trae missed happened 30 seconds into the quarter during the Mavs 7-0 run.  Bad time and bad shot, but you make it seem like they take 5 or 6 in the 4th quarter.  That's just not true.  And Trae taking and missing the one with 11:30 left in the game is hardly the reason they lost.  

Did I say anything about the 4th quarter?

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Did I say anything about the 4th quarter?

Well you were responding to a chain of posts that started with LP specifically talking about the 4th quarter of the Dallas game so I thought that's what you were talking about. Also, the Hawks had a 9 pt lead going to the 4th so I'm not sure why the shot selection that led to that lead would bother you.  I apologize for misunderstanding.  Complain away.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Well you were responding to a chain of posts that started with LP specifically talking about the 4th quarter of the Dallas game so I thought that's what you were talking about. Also, the Hawks had a 9 pt lead going to the 4th so I'm not sure why the shot selection that led to that lead would bother you.  I apologize for misunderstanding.  Complain away.  

You guys are amazing! Trae was taking bad shots all game long...particularly in the 3rd quarter! There was a reason he only hit 1 shot out of 8 tries in the 2nd half. You don't start worrying about your shot selection when you start losing or in the 4th quarter. Good teams try to get good shots all 4 quarters.  The other thing I cannot understand with this board is the notion that a shot is only bad when it doesn't go in. Launching a bunch 3's which is LP team's MO is not the way to consistently win. And why Cam Reddish continues to shoot 3's is beyond my comprehension.