• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nuggets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

But we were supposed to have the deepest bench in the league but we have the worst points scoring ranked last,  this what happens when ownership steps in 

When the bench guys are unavailable and/or starters are missing forcing bench guys into starting roles - it has a cascading effect.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Other than Capela, who has played better over the past 3 games?

The entire bench for one.  Mays, Gallo, Snell, OO in this last one.  Bruno was ok.  Cam has been more within himself.    Some of their stats don't look impressive but they've been reliable and playing good D for the most part. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not really.   I think he has always been trying to get his teammates involved and in some games way more than he should have been.   He had some halfs with under 5 shots.   I think we're seeing some guys starting to play better and Trae figuring some things out with the new defenses he's seeing.   If there's one thing we know is that Trae is a quick learner. 

I think it's also the players finally adjusting to missing Hunter and playing without him and how they fill his void.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The entire bench for one.  Mays, Gallo, Snell, OO in this last one.  Bruno was ok.  Cam has been more within himself.    Some of their stats don't look impressive but they've been reliable and playing good D for the most part. 

This was the worst stretch of Gallo's Hawk career.  OO only played in 1 game.  Snell has been steady the entire time.  Mays certainly has had better offensive games than this current 3 game stretch.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, hawkman said:

Looking at his average FT attempts since that blew up in the media, it's obvious something is going on. He went from ~15 attempts to ~9 attempts right after that Brooklyn game. I have no issue with them not calling blatant "foul baiting", but I can't get behind them going out of their way to not call obvious fouls or continuations when he makes the shot. No other star has issues getting those calls. But Trae needs to do his part by not arguing with the refs and getting on their bad side. 

God forbid the refs just call the game as they see it and not favor or disfavor athletes based on how much they personally like them.  Never understood why NBA refs have never been able to simply call the play rather than adjust their foul calling based on the players involved in the play.  Been like that in various forms forever so I don't disagree with the practical reality but would be nice to see the refs just call it like it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This was the worst stretch of Gallo's Hawk career.  OO only played in 1 game.  Snell has been steady the entire time.  Mays certainly has had better offensive games that this current 3 game stretch.

As i said individually they didn't necesarily post great stats but they came in and got the job done.   Heck the bench brought us back in the 2nd celtics game.   OO only played in 1 game.  we are only talking about 3 games.  Trae and Capela were great but they've been great in games where we got blown out.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Don't you get the impression that he isn't forcing as many shots and is trying to get his teammates involved now?

I think that's been true for a while, but yea he continues to improve in not taking bad shots and getting his points within the flow of the offense. I think the biggest thing from a production standpoint is getting that cuasi-mid range game going with those floaters because when he makes that he is truly unguardable. 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, AHF said:

God forbid the refs just call the game as they see it and not favor or disfavor athletes based on how much they personally like them.  Never understood why NBA refs have never been able to simply call the play rather than adjust their foul calling based on the players involved in the play.  Been like that in various forms forever so I don't disagree with the practical reality but would be nice to see the refs just call it like it is.

But then they would hurt Lebron's feelings and we can't have that. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

But then they would hurt Lebron's feelings and we can't have that. 

It goes back a long, long way.  "That is a travel for all big men except Ewing whose signature shuffle is off limits.  It's a foul if someone else does it, but when Jordan pushes off on you then you better just eat that.  When Shaq shoulders through the defender, it's fine but don't think of trying that if you are a scrub.  When LeBron takes 4 steps, no problem but please don't try to imitate that Mr. Rookie.  Etc."  It is like MLB where every umpire used to set their own personal strike zone (which sometimes changed even within a single game).  Just call the rules as written the same way for everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I never thought it was bad although I didn't think Schlenk had it in him to find a player in the 2nd round.  Mays can actually play and so can Knight.  Nate knows how to use these guys.  Hopefully LP won't bring back his patented stupid line ups to screw things up.

The Tyler Dorsey/Bruno Fernando disrespect is unnecessary......😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Although I do largely agree with your sentiment, refs should call it straight, I also think too much is being made of the Steve Nash thing. An entire league of refs is not going to adjust how they call a player because of the griping of a coach. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Although I do largely agree with your sentiment, refs should call it straight, I also think too much is being made of the Steve Nash thing. An entire league of refs is not going to adjust how they call a player because of the griping of a coach. 

I don't think a single event like the Nash thing likely tilts the table -- unless it was supported by a behind the scene direction from the league (such as a communication showing Trae jumping backwards and giving an interpretation / direction not to call that a foul).

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Trae's average FT attempts dropped by ~6 per game after that incident. That's not insignificant. That's a heck of a coincidence if Nash's comments and the media blowing it up isn't the cause.

15 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Trae's average FT attempts dropped by ~6 per game after that incident. That's not insignificant. That's a heck of a coincidence if Nash's comments and the media blowing it up isn't the cause.

Trae is still near the tops in the league in FT attempts. It probably had more to do with returning to the mean and defenses adjusting. That was like 3 or 4 games into the season, too small a sample size to make definitive statements. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Trae is still near the tops in the league in FT attempts. It probably had more to do with returning to the mean and defenses adjusting. That was like 3 or 4 games into the season, too small a sample size to make definitive statements. 

Just stating the facts. It wasn't a gradual return to the mean, it was a sharp drop from one game to the next. The defenses did not adjust, the officiating did.