• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at heat -- GAME 1

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I just fine it ironic that there are so many other issues to examine in this game but the guy getting the most criticisms was the most efficient shooter, 2nd leading scorer and arguably the best defender in today's game.  This is such a weird fanbase.

2nd leading scorer with 14 points lol. Our standards sure are low. And definitely not the best defender, that title goes to Wright.

Dre is taking unnecessary bullets because we need someone on the frontline to neutralize what the Heat are doing.  Physically, he's just not built for that yet.  If he wants to become an elite defensive player, we need that physicality out of him.

But he's definitely not the reason for the blowout today.  If we make even 40% of our shots in those first 3 quarters, this is a close game throughout.  Trae can't go 1 - 12 and Bogi go 0 - 8 FG, and expect us to even be competitive.  They have to match their games to deal with the physicality of what Miami brings to the table. 

They are not going to allow you to dribble and hold the ball.  So you either have to move it via passing, or you immediately make your move to shoot it.  If we give them a chance to set their defense, they'll eat us up.

Playoffs are mainly about the play of your star players, and the adjustments the coach makes.  Let's see if Trae steps it up in Game 2, and let's see if Nate makes scheme adjustments on offense to make it less difficult for our guys to get going.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Do we just need to start a media campaign that the Hawks are a gritty defense so we can get away with fouling more?  Who wants to help organize

Complaining about how the refs called the game isn't going to change things. 

If the Hawks don't play tougher, they must execute a whole lot better, and make open shots.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I just fine it ironic that there are so many other issues to examine in this game but the guy getting the most criticisms was the most efficient shooter, 2nd leading scorer and arguably the best defender in today's game.  This is such a weird fanbase.

He still only scored 14 points. He was effecient TODAY, but it's not like he had a big game.

He scored a mediocre 14 points. It still goes with what I've been saying in that technically Hunter and Huerter shoot some decent percentages, but they aren't explosive. So who cares that he was effecient when it didn't  turn into anything notable.

He is a Marvin Williams or Ty Corbin kind of player.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

He still only scored 14 points. He was effecient TODAY, but it's not like he had a big game.

He scored a mediocre 14 points. It still goes with what I've been saying in that technically Hunter and Huerter shoot some decent percentages, but they aren't explosive. So who cares that he was effecient when it didn't  turn into anything notable.

Also, Dre wasn't an offensive factor in this game until we were down by 20.  He made a few corner 3s in the 3rd, but we were already down by 20.

But the offensive focus shouldn't be on Dre.  It's on how do we make Trae's life easier and how do we get open looks by Bogi and Huerter to go down?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Maybe I'm not making myself clear...no one is saying that Hunter was dominant in this game. I'm asking why is he the headline? Maybe the Heat fans are dogging Bam because he only had 6 points and 6 rebounds but I doubt it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Also, Dre wasn't an offensive factor in this game until we were down by 20.  He made a few corner 3s in the 3rd, but we were already down by 20.

But the offensive focus shouldn't be on Dre.  It's on how do we make Trae's life easier and how do we get open looks by Bogi and Huerter to go down?

One of the ways to make life easier for Trae is to have a wing who can create offense or at least who is willing to pass the ball. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

We have to get Game 2.

We don't . . . but it would be nice.

Hawks have been a frontrunning home team since the end of the 7 game losing streak in January.

This series could very well end up like Hawks vs Celtics in 2008, where the #1 seeded Celtics were dominant at home, but couldn't win 1 game in Atlanta.

Game 3 is the game we must get.  Game 2 is the game where we need to see what can work.