• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nuggets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

We need to shake up this roster. DJM signing a good deal was great...and we should flip him. Take the L in the PR department because yes it would be shady af to do it but he can't guard two's. He could guard PG with his size/length but that's wasted as a SG.

I hope this don't mean DJ is now the scapegoat. 

Why can't we be honest and say we f***ed up years ago rushing out of the Tank and now we are too financially invested. We aren't Indiana. We aren't a big move away. We are Atlanta. We probably need to tank and hope for a Zion trade, rebuild Zion into a true force and pray for the best. This shit ain't gonna work. We just aren't good enough. There is no one on this roster that shouldn't be available for trade if the value is legit. No one. That said, the value has to be legit. We also must avoid players for future asset deals unless it's for Zion. In that case, it's worth the risk. Anyone like O.G. or Siakam is an easy pass. We need someone who can become our best player. We don't have one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

when did he speak against it? when was the haul he had trae ready for ? 

He was ready to deal Trae but it wasn't for a haul that the ownership wanted. It was for draft assets. There wasn't a deal that Atlanta got for Trae that would have been significant and Trae sells tickets. 

I am still shocked Quin would come to Atlanta. Why do that when you got the world of good options. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, terrell said:

Not a #2 at all.....Maybe a good #3 or 4 on a Championship team..

Trae/GM got this one wrong

Schlenk got this one right for once...

And Im more disappointed in his Defense than his subpar offense.. Geez

It looks like he was just putting up stats on a bad team in S.A..

TS hated that trade but Tony and Trae swore on it plus he really wanted to be in Atlanta. I tried to tell ya'll before that Trae, it didn't make any sense. It's raised our floor though so I guessed it helped. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I hope this don't mean DJ is now the scapegoat. 

Why can't we be honest and say we f***ed up years ago rushing out of the Tank and now we are too financially invested. We aren't Indiana. We aren't a big move away. We are Atlanta. We probably need to tank and hope for a Zion trade, rebuild Zion into a true force and pray for the best. This shit ain't gonna work. We just aren't good enough. There is no one on this roster that shouldn't be available for trade if the value is legit. No one. That said, the value has to be legit. We also must avoid players for future asset deals unless it's for Zion. In that case, it's worth the risk. Anyone like O.G. or Siakam is an easy pass. We need someone who can become our best player. We don't have one. 

On some level I'd rather move Trae and move DJ back to PG and go from there. But we both know that shit ain't gonna happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

On some level I'd rather move Trae and move DJ back to PG and go from there. But we both know that shit ain't gonna happen.

Anything we do, we need better players than what we got now. The one thing I like about Murray is he wants to be here and he's a great locker room guy but he's not that guy 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Anything we do, we need better players than what we got now. The one thing I like about Murray is he wants to be here and he's a great locker room guy but he's not that guy 

He's not. he's a second or third guy no doubt. But we need more than that. The worst thing we did was that crazy ECF run. It has completely hamstrung this franchise since then.

• Like 1

Quin is simply not valuing putting a balanced lineup out on the floor.  The thing that turned Denver around from being a playoff team, to a championship team, was adding size to their frontcourt.

A healthy MPJ gave them a 6 - 10 guy who can play mostly out on the perimeter at the 3, but still provide them with length that helps defensively and on the boards. 

The addition of a strong and uber athletic 6-8 guy in Gordon gave them a guy who could score on 3 levels, and help on the boards.

That means that Denver goes 6 - 10, 6 - 10, and 6 - 11 on their frontline.  So why TF do you counter that, by going 6 - 6,  6 - 7, 6 - 10 on our frontline?

The Hawks, once again, get killed on the boards ( 49 to 35 ), and they give up 14 offensive rebounds ( most of them occurring in the first 3 quarters of the game ). Gordon grabbed 7 of those offensive boards.  The small ball lineups the Hawks were throwing out on the floor are constantly getting killed in this category.  And once again, some scrub has a career game against us, raining 3s on our heads left and right.

Quin is a very stubborn basketball coach.  He believes in his system.  His offensive system obviously works.  But you need balance on the floor.  If you have to put a lesser offensive player on the floor to create more defensive balance, that may help the team overall.  These types of lineups have been thrown out on the floor in the NBA, since its inception.

The fact that he started 6-6 Garrison Matthews with 6-7 Saddiq Bey on the frontline, is an absolute travesty.  Garrison gave us nothing, and has given us nothing since he's joined this team. AJ is obviously in Quin's doghouse, but a 6-6 AJ who doesn't defend or rebound well, isn't an option either.

To me, this isn't hard.  You start OO with Clint, to keep the defensive integrity, and stagger their minutes in the middle part of halves just like you do with Trae and DJ at the point.  If you have to play Bruno spot minutes in each half ( 5 min each ), then go ahead and do that too.

But don't ask Saddiq Bey to be the team's "Superman", and try to play meaningful minutes at the 4 in a small ball lineup.  It makes no sense.

And if I haven't said this enough all year . . . Bogi should close games, I don't care who is out or healthy.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The reigning champs have their 29th pick in the rotation holding a better effective field goal percentage than the Hawks’ max player.  

Meanwhile the Hawks drafted an average sized guard while they had three ball/ shot dominant guards already, knowing he wouldn’t play even if healthy.  Check Jamie Jaquez’ stats, he’s arguably better than Dre now (the tape would make an even better case).

Signing Trae to a max pretty much ensured non-contention for a long time but the blunder of this past draft sets the on-court product back even more.  This imminent rebuild is gonna yield pennies on the dollar.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

The reigning champs have their 29th pick in the rotation holding a better effective field goal percentage than the Hawks’ max player.  

Meanwhile the Hawks drafted an average sized guard while they had three ball/ shot dominant guards already, knowing he wouldn’t play even if healthy.  Check Jamie Jaquez’ stats, he’s arguably better than Dre now (the tape would make an even better case).

Signing Trae to a max pretty much ensured non-contention for a long time but the blunder of this past draft sets the on-court product back even more.  This imminent rebuild is gonna yield pennies on the dollar.

When I say this, Trae fans attack but he's a problem at this salary. He's a roof raiser, sadly the roof ain't all that high in Atlanta.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, SalvorMallow said:

Our razer thin front court seems to be the biggest problem to me. Is that trae's fault too? 

Nope. That part isn't. 

It would be nice if we had three more years in the top 5-6 of the draft

Could of had Franz Wagner, Scottie Barnes, Chet, Smith Jr or Paolo, or even Wemby. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Sad 1

Next year will be scary. We really got no protection and we aren't getting any better. We are only going to lose a player a year at this point. Tony might need to go into the tax next year just to avoid being a pure lottery team with no lottery pick. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Nope. That part isn't. 

It would be nice if we had three more years in the top 5-6 of the draft

Could of had Franz Wagner, Scottie Barnes, Chet, Smith Jr or Paolo, or even Wemby. 

And yet Trae is the poster child for the terrible vision this organization has demonstrated time and time again? Take Trae out of the equation and you still have an unmitigated disaster of a roster.  

"Dre"...Lmao.  Some people can't stop believing.  

Clint - great center a decade and a half ago 

What's left? Bogi..sniper...but a walking turnstile.

Bey, AJ (I kicked a puppy and remain in the doghouse). The bench....gumbo.  Mix em up and it's the same shyt.

Atlanta teams are always a day late and a dollar short.  Holding on to average talent and overpaying talent to stay.  It's hamster on a treadmill time for the Hawks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, deester11 said:

The bench....gumbo.  Mix em up and it's the same shyt.

Don't know that I've heard that before but that is definitely the way I feel about most of this crew:

image.png

* Bruno offers something different if you are playing a big lineup.

** AJ offered more last season.  Question if he can rebound in time this year.

*** Mo is enticing for the future but too raw to expect anything this season.  I'll put Kobe in this category as well.  Look at him as a freshman in college and that is about what I expect from him this year (and possibly next year).

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The thread did not disappoint this morning!  Great doom saying.

I'm going to try more simply. 

The organization did not put enough talent on this team ----->>>>> so we lose games. 

You know things are bad when Garrison Mathews has to start.

We aren't getting much of anything from the Mat(t)hews and AJ. 

OO hasn't taken the next step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Worse than that, OO has regressed.  Per 36 he is:

Down 2.5 points from last year

FG% dropped from roughly 64% to 55%

Rebounding is down almost a board per

STOCKS are down 1.1 per 36

Really ugly start to the year for a guy who I was hoping would be ascending to a starting role with the team but seems to be securing his spot off the bench instead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• Moderators

The fact that we are lamenting the play of Matthews, Mathews, and AJ is just sad.   These are not guys we should have been counting on going into the season.  This is totally a management problem.

Wesley - dude is 37 friggin years old.  He hasn't played well or shot the ball well in 4 years or more.  He's a 37% career 3 point shooter who hasn't shot 37% since 2018.  There's a term for that.  Drop off.  

Garrison - seems like a hard worker but he's a fringe NBA player at best.  And it's not like he was ever a lights out shooter.  

AJ - Lots of promise but both Nate and Quin had lost faith in him toward the end of the season.  Quin got a good long look and saw something he didn't like.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ya he has..

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Worse than that, OO has regressed. 

Yup.

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Really ugly start to the year for a guy who I was hoping would be ascending to a starting role with the team but seems to be securing his spot off the bench instead.

I thought he would be up for DPOY, or at least in the running. Nowhere close.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Quin got a good long look and saw something he didn't like.  

Was it defense? I mean, AJ got game, he maneuvers through situations, I wonder what happened.

OO, AJ, both my boys disappointing big time. This is sad.

• Like 2