• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks

lethalweapon3

It's been rough for Trae lately.  I'm glad to see coach Pierce benching him.  He at least needs to show some hustle on the defensive end. I mean, go after a damn rebound.   

I think Trae will work out. The Hawks schedule has been brutal and with a game every other day for the next month, the team may need a reset.

Jeremy is playing well and I agree with Bob that maybe should start to relieve some of the pressure on Trae.  

It's all on Trae though. I don't expect him to be a good defender. I just expect some effort.

Watching the game tonight, I'm finally comfortable I can make some points.

1. I'm starting to scream at the t.v. when we are on defense.  We are young. You cannot afford to let the offense get set.  We need to be taking the risk of other teams dribble driving and we need to be playing much, much tighter on the outside. We should be picking up dribblers at 35 feet and our wings need to be giving no more than 3 feet cushion. We need to be inviting the dribble drive and forcing opposing point guards to beat us. This playing off people to discourage the dribble drive is getting us killed on 3's. Every team is stepping into 3's which is instant death. 3 point shooters need to be uncomfortable and you do that by crowding before the catch.

2. Alex Len struggled some as a starter but Dedmon is getting killed as a starter. Tonight in reversed roles....Dedmon was -38, Len +22.  Backup center is a much better place for a borderline starter to shine.  Dedmon was doing it to the tune of +5....Len is showing he is just better.

3. We need to stop trying to run sets like the 85 Celtics.  We are not a vet team and with every game we are getting slower and slower entering our offense.  We are 2 years away from being vet enough to out scheme teams.  We are running less and less and its killing us. We need a guard leaking out every play and need to get that ball up court.  If we keep letting teams set up their defense, it doesn't matter what is on the white board.

4. Justin Anderson needs rotational minutes.  I know he's been hurt and working his way back in but in 3 games, under 33 minutes he is +19. He's been positive in the plus minus every night he's played. He's active and meets the ball early on defense. I don't care whose minutes are taken....he needs 15+ minutes a game.

22 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Reddish very well could disappear like Huerter in his role. 

Exactly, I am leaning to Barrett for us. We need someone with that mindset and work ethic to become Kobe like

Just now, NBASupes said:

Exactly, I am leaning to Barrett for us. We need someone with that mindset and work ethic to become Kobe like

Of course Zion if we land #1 pick

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Nah, you would want Reddish because he can shoot.   Barrett is a more talented Bazemore.  Cam can drive, pass and shoot.    Barrett has an alpha mentality.   That's where Cam needs to step up.  He needs to know he has the most skill of all the Duke players.

• Premium Member

There is always that 1 quarter where this team decides they aren't going to play, that's as much coaching as anything.

Defense?? Non existent.

Last 4 games:

12-38, 10-36, 8-29, 6-35 =  36/138 from 3.

44 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The team needs to put some effort on the defensive end ... 

Say it again!!!

18 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Nah, you would want Reddish because he can shoot.   Barrett is a more talented Bazemore.  Cam can drive, pass and shoot.    Barrett has an alpha mentality.   That's where Cam needs to step up.  He needs to know he has the most skill of all the Duke players.

Reddish has his issues too. I am a Duke fan. I like all three players. I want Zion obviously but between R.J. and Reddish for Atlanta. I like Barrett

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There is always that 1 quarter where this team decides they aren't going to play, that's as much coaching as anything.

Defense?? Non existent.

Last 4 games:

12-38, 10-36, 8-29, 6-35 =  36/138 from 3.

Our “Shooting Guru” Jent smoking that gas and passing out during practice.  

44 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

And Porter with the Mavs pick..

8 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

At least we’re gonna get something right for once, if you even wanna call it that.  We’re on a Cannonball Run to #1.  Zion mama already looking at houses around Inman Park and sh@t.

Lottery odds have changed...

• Premium Member

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Brook Lopez in that Milwaukee game

3 - 17 FG . . 0 - 12 3FG

His 17 shots led the team.  Bud must've had a cocktail before the game, to let Lopez do that.

Damn. 17 shots by Lopez? When was the last time he had that many shots?

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Damn. 17 shots by Lopez? When was the last time he had that many shots?

Not impressed by that clip of Trae shooting after the game, because he's not shooting at game like movement.   Just casually shooting midrange jumpers isn't going to improve his shooting.   He may as well shoot FTs, if that's all he's going to do.

One of the drills I always did by myself in high school, and my one year of small college ball, was to literally throw the ball around the court, run to it, and practice either catching and shooting, or catching and making game-like dribble-drive moves, then shooting.

Or do something like this:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Not impressed by that clip of Trae shooting after the game, because he's not shooting at game like movement.   Just casually shooting midrange jumpers isn't going to improve his shooting.   He may as well shoot FTs, if that's all he's going to do.

One of the drills I always did by myself in high school, and my one year of small college ball, was to literally throw the ball around the court, run to it, and practice either catching and shooting, or catching and making game-like dribble-drive moves, then shooting.

Or do something like this:

He is just trying to built confidence in his shooting stroke but I seen this a thousand times. It's not shooting that's hard in the NBA, it's shooting over NBA defenders, modern NBA athletes and length that is. 

That was craptastic! We really stunk it up. Our interior defense is god awful. Our perimeter d isn’t much better. I understand we are a young team but I’m questioning the effort now. Prince isn’t the same Prince. We are going through the motions. We aren’t focused.

Glad Trae stayed for detention. It’ll pay off in the end. Let’s stay together and grow.

Reddish is welcomed!

• Like 1