• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pistons at Hawks -- the Home Opener!

lethalweapon3

Just now, bleachkit said:

Some nights shots aren't gonna fall.

Yup and there will be ugly offensive games for sure!....you got to win those ugly ones too though. I’m not as worried about that with this roster for ugly offensive games like I was last two seasons as we have players outside of Trae who can go to other shots outside of the 3 ball.

~Trae has his floater which he’s normally very good at.

~Cam and Bogi (especially Bogi) is very good at midrange shots.

~Capela can get physical around the goal and at least put effort in muscling the ball in even though he has no go to post moves.

~Collins does well finishing in the lane even when there’s  contact 

~Hunter is much much more aggressive getting into the lane and finishing . He’s not afraid to put his shoulder down and go. Huerter also is bit more aggressive than last season.

~Rondo isn’t afraid to attach the goal

~Gallo while known as a great 3pt shooter does not get the credit he deserves as he’s also good around the goal and good at drawing a lot of contact, probably second to Trae on this team in terms of skill to draw contact and get the whistle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

And we're talking about learning how to close out the Pistons arguable the worst team in basketball especially without their 2 best players.

We were missing players too that could make a huge difference.

There were some ugly moments yesterday, that is true but finally we got a win. After 3 games on the season these are my main conclusions.

1- Starters had a bad +/-. That also happened on most of Memphis game although they could wash that stat at the end. Hunter, Collins and Young seem to be our best players in these 3 games now but that is highly influenced by Chicago game.

2- Second unit won the game for us, that also happened at Memphis game. I am so glad Rondo and Bogi had a good game. When we add Gallo that second unit is going to be the best on the league.

3- Hunter is much improved on the court, he is shooting very efficient and is playing winning basketball but Cam is still having his ups and downs, he will figure it out but now he is still not at the point he left last season. Anyway I think the best fit for Young is Cam, always have thought the same.

4- the 2 games against BKN are key, if we are able to win one I will begin to believe perhaps we have something special.

5 - Overall I think Schlenk made a huge job, we have a really powerful 2nd unit that is bringing us on the games when things are not going well with our starters. Rondo, Huerter, Bogi and Gallo are real players that can take out of the court any 2nd unit on the league. That is going to be the most powerful weapon we have this season. I am eager to see Okongwu on the court, hopefully he is an upgrade over Bruno and can round this 2nd unit. 
6- Starters still need some work, we need to improve on defense but I am not too worried.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ViperXX79 said:

Just came here to see some positivity about a 3-0 start.  You’d think we’ve gone 0-3 reading some people’s posts.

This is Hawksquawk, you already know we panic over everything here. We won 60 games in a season with 4 All-Stars and got swept like a bunch of Joe Blows. The sky will be always falling until we win a ring. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

This is Hawksquawk, you already know we panic over everything here. We won 60 games in a season with 4 All-Stars and got swept like a bunch of Joe Blows. The sky will be always falling until we win a ring. 

That team actually played the right way but was short on talent.  If this plays like the 2015 team, there would be no complaints

• Like 2

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Wow.  So some folks are upset with this win?  What the hell?  

Teams make runs.  We led the whole game and closed it out.   

No one is upset with the win but rather the bad habits the team continues to struggle with like bad defense and poor rebounding against a team just above gleague level

Just now, Peoriabird said:

No one is upset with the win but rather the bad habits the team continues to struggle with like bad defense and poor rebounding against a team just above gleague level

The Hawks outrebounded the Pistons. The Pistons did have nine more offensive rebounds, but 7 of those came on two trips down the floor if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Not true...I complained about his substitutions not his schemes

Is that a complaint? You said no complaints..lol

12 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Wooo another win.  Like many have stated, not the prettiest of wins but W is all that matters at this stage.  My takeaways:

1. We had 7 guys in double digits (and Heurter had 9) which is awesome to see -- no selfishness on this team right now
  2. Bogi shot very well tonight and it was refreshing to see him in rhythm from behind the arc
  3. We need serious work on rebounding fundamentals
  4. Watching Rondo come out and deal 8 dimes in 15 minutes was something else -- hoping some of that can rub off on Trae as I think improving his assist/turnover ratio is the lowest hanging fruit in his game right now

1) We had the potential to have 9 players in double figures.  Huerter had 9,  Capela had 7.  But that final group just fizzled out at the end.

2) He's streaky.  I guess this is what we can expect from him going forward.  When he's not shooting well, Huerter can play extended minutes.

3) Our rebounding woes come when the team goes small. Capela, Collins, and Bruno are rebounding at a tremendous rate.  But the wings and guards definitely need to work on rebounding.  

4) Rondo was outstanding.  That's some of the best basketball I've ever seen him play.  As for Trae, his assists would be higher if Bogi, Cam, and Collins made a few more shots off of his assists.  Also, because we're not utilizing Collins right, he's getting less assists to players going toward the rim.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629027/passes-dash/

But with us currently being the #1 offense in the league right now, I expect little to change unless we hit a rough patch offensively.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You claimed I complained about everything and my answer was not true. Didn't say that I agreed with everything.

Now, you know I was being hyperbolic, but you get the gist. No matter how well the Hawks are playing there will be complaints about something.

• Haha 1