• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Drinking Knickerbocker Tears Thread

sturt

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

They tried to pry some stuff outta Rose 🌹.. lol, he said “things will be different” after a few minutes of media prodding.

:douchecock: Dude has nothing to say, but let’s play game 2 and the media wants ANYTHING that will relate to drama and thus clicks.

Kind of funny. If I was a player I’d definitely participate in post game interviews as to not get fined but troll the crap outta the media every chance I got.

I actually like Rose 🌹. He is kind of a throw back. He’s like, “that’s basketball!” Aint nothing new. Comon.

Yup, it's always smart to not reveal your gameplan and play into the media's tactics. I expect a highly competitive and intense battle tonight.

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

From the Athetic...

Trae Young didn’t get his nickname by accident. He’s Ice Trae for a reason.

Because he’s cooler than a polar bear’s toenails. Oh hell, there he go again, talking that …

Trae-Young-Shhh.png

The Atlanta Hawks star might be listed at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, but he for sure has Big Boi energy.

Sunday, when he teardropped a dagger in New York’s heart in Game 1 and turned the diehards in Madison Square Garden into church mice, a new kind of star was born. Trae Young the villain. The timing is perfect, too, with the revitalization of the Knicks.

And, in hindsight, this makes so much sense. He is an ideal antagonist. He’s wired to wear the black hat — only figuratively, though, because why cover his trademark fro.

Young was so built for this. The pressure of performing, the heart to take on odds, the ability to produce, the thick skin and sharp tongue — all the things needed to make a good basketball villain, he’s got them. It doesn’t mean he won’t have bad games, or that he doesn’t have flaws to exploit, or that his team will prevail.

It does mean you better not let him beat you. Oh, you better not. Because he’s the opponent who will make you despise him if he wins.

Clearly, New York mayor Bill de Blasio didn’t recognize what was being born on the floor of The Garden. He watched Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau sub in Frank Ntilikina to serve as some kind of Trae Young stopper in the final seconds. He watched a renowned shooter pass on the chance for the hero jumper and instead thwarted Thibodeau’s strategy, driving right around Ntilikina.

In Atlanta terms, Young chose to bend corners like he was a curve, he struck a nerve, and now you ’bout to see this southern playa serve. Floater. Ballgame.

And Young strutted on the iconic hardwood like he deserved. Under the same roof where Michael Jordan stood over Patrick Ewing and Xavier McDaniel screaming. In the same arena where Reggie Miller taunted Spike Lee with the choke sign. On the same court where Kobe Bryant drove baseline, double-clutched a reverse dunk with Latrell Sprewell all over him, and soaked up the adulation from the road crowd.

At the Mecca of Basketball. That’s where Trae Young told the crowd to shut up.

How fun is this? This level of competitive banter is old school. And it’s here because Young is perfectly fine not playing it safe. It takes a certain amount of audacity and confidence to put yourself on the hook like this. To be willing to play with the stakes of potential ridicule if you fail. Those guys are a different breed, and Young isn’t scared at all. He invites it.

This guy keeps screenshots of tweets throwing shade at him in his phone as emergency fodder when he needs extra motivation. He doesn’t need an ounce of enmity to point at the spot on the floor when he drills one from deep, flexing his range. Or to punctuate highlights with his signature shiver, a reminder that Ice Trae is in the building. The guy is cold.

And de Blasio decided to further inflame this guy? Young’s father, Rayford, was just as surprised.

The Knicks have to win this series now.

It’s a common mistake, actually. Many have sized up Young and dismissed him. He isn’t bear-sized, so it’s not inherent to know poking is a bad idea.

But all of his basketball life, Young has been rebutting slights, discrediting stereotypes and hushing crowds. Imagine how many courts he walked on and they tried him because of his slight build. Imagine how many players felt like they had some kind of power over him because they could overpower him. Imagine how much he’s heard the Steph Curry comparisons, or how the Hawks blew it by choosing him over Luka Doncic.

Young is here, on this stage, because he rejects those premises. His drive is fueled by his insatiable appetite for making a mockery of his haters. Like many villains, his cold-bloodedness is born of a grudge. He hears the crowd taunts — whether at Madison Square Garden, or Oklahoma, or Norman North High School — and doesn’t bother acting like they don’t matter. He instead prefers to fill the stands with regret.

And remember, he doesn’t just want any old apology. He wants one as loud as the disrespect was.

Wednesday night, he’ll be back in the Garden for Game 2. Knicks fans will assuredly have more smoke for him. So will the Knicks. Dominique Wilkins suggested to The Athletic’s Jeff Schultz that it’s best for the Knicks to play some Al Green or Luther Vandross to calm Young down.

But that’s not playoff basketball. And it’s too late anyway. Young, all too willingly, responded to the ire from the crowd and made himself the enemy of the Knicks faithful. So he’s going to have to try and shut them up again. He knows that, for sure.

Something about how comfortable he looked in his first playoff game, on hallowed ground, makes you think he’s game for more back and forth. He felt too familiar with the moment for a guy who’d never been in it. He certainly won’t be ducking. Which means we all could be in for a treat. The Knicks vs. the Hawks. Ice Trae vs. Madison Square Garden. The modern game with a throwback edge.

A bonafide, qualified NBA villain might be growing up right before our eyes. We can only hope Young leans in.

https://theathletic.com/2613038/2021/05/26/thompson-trae-young-the-perfect-villain-on-the-perfect-stage/

That was a good article. Although I still reject he idea of him being an NBA villain. Knicks villan yeah, but the NBA writ large?  Why? I guess as he keeps busting heads on the way to championship we will find out.  I am looking for who has Trae’s back tonight on this Hawks team.  If they try to go after our boy, we got something for them. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Yup, it's always smart to not reveal your gameplan and play into the media's tactics. I expect a highly competitive and intense battle tonight.

Such a great response from Rose, he's matured so much since early Bulls day but he still has a little edge to him.  He definitely respects Trae's game and probably relates to parts of it.  I hope he continues to ball out while we win -- he's the only player on the Knicks I really like, just kind of meh on most of their guys.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Such a great response from Rose, he's matured so much since early Bulls day but he still has a little edge to him.  He definitely respects Trae's game and probably relates to parts of it.  I hope he continues to ball out while we win -- he's the only player on the Knicks I really like, just kind of meh on most of their guys.

Ya I was initially upset with Rose 🌹 and his brother a few years back but the guy took the time he needed for himself and came back ballin, I can’t hate on that. He really resurrected his career in my eyes.

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Forget that, I hope the entire squad goes 0 for 98. Hawks win in historic fashion  120 - 0. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

That was a good article. Although I still reject he idea of him being an NBA villain. Knicks villan yeah, but the NBA writ large?  Why? I guess as he keeps busting heads on the way to championship we will find out.  I am looking for who has Trae’s back tonight on this Hawks team.  If they try to go after our boy, we got something for them. 

He's the villain because the MSM decided he was going to be a bust, and now that he isn't instead of admitting they are wrong they will try to nit pick anything they can. 

• Thanks 2