• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pelicans (7 PM EST Tip!)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

AJ was a young rookie. He got a lot of minutes but you saw him hit the wall over time. Once that shot stopped falling, he was no longer as needed or as playable on a team trying to get in the playoffs down the stretch. 

I agree with you...  We all watched AJ hit the Rookie Wall.   We all watched his 3pt percent go from 49% to low 30%.   He was not better than the guys in front of him... and at the start of this season, Quin plays a shorter rotation... and that's the explanation.

YET.   When Jalen got playing time under NATE and we're talking about good minutes...    These were his three point percentages...

image.png

Now.. if production keeps you on the court... and we are in the modern NBA....  How was JJ still playing good minutes with this production from three? Think back to last season... when we needed to stretch the floor....  JJ was out there at the three point line shooting what... 40%... No... 35%... No... 30%... No... Less than 25%....  And he was not taken out of the rotation. 

The thing is.. there are some here who believes that when we drafted JJ.. He was automatically ready to start.  Ready to play Starters minutes.  Didn't need any seasoning.  Yet.. in his second year...  20%... 18.8%? ... 23.3%

Like i said, we're glad his play got better, but let's not act like he came to us a finished product.   Is it so hard to believe that he, like AJ, didn't make the 8 man rotation his first year?

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I have no words. You are a national treasure. Please never change.

I dunno, saffron.  He might be onto something.  If he didn't want to go to the gleague, he should've refused the assignment.  I'm sure that's a thing players do.  Especially non-lotto picks that have no actual power to do so.

(Am I laying the sarcasm on thick enough?)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

I agree with you...  We all watched AJ hit the Rookie Wall.   We all watched his 3pt percent go from 49% to low 30%.   He was not better than the guys in front of him... and at the start of this season, Quin plays a shorter rotation... and that's the explanation.

YET.   When Jalen got playing time under NATE and we're talking about good minutes...    These were his three point percentages...

image.png

Now.. if production keeps you on the court... and we are in the modern NBA....  How was JJ still playing good minutes with this production from three? Think back to last season... when we needed to stretch the floor....  JJ was out there at the three point line shooting what... 40%... No... 35%... No... 30%... No... Less than 25%....  And he was not taken out of the rotation. 

The thing is.. there are some here who believes that when we drafted JJ.. He was automatically ready to start.  Ready to play Starters minutes.  Didn't need any seasoning.  Yet.. in his second year...  20%... 18.8%? ... 23.3%

Like i said, we're glad his play got better, but let's not act like he came to us a finished product.   Is it so hard to believe that he, like AJ, didn't make the 8 man rotation his first year?

Easy answer, Jalen plays a different position. Jalen’s spot in the rotation was almost solidified the moment we traded Gallo. We had a hole at back up PF last year and no ideal answers to fill it. Compare Jalen’s rookie season with AJ’s and you see JJ got much worse treatment as he was in a similar situation as the 5th big that year.

Roster construction matters, and this has always been a team loaded with wings. You can’t say that AJ should be  playing over DJ, Bogi, Dre or Bey at the 2/3 position. We may lose Bey or Bogi at some point, which should be a natural promotion for AJ in to the 8 man.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Easy answer, Jalen plays a different position. Jalen’s spot in the rotation was almost solidified the moment we traded Gallo. We had a hole at back up PF last year and no ideal answers to fill it. Compare Jalen’s rookie season with AJ’s and you see JJ got much worse treatment as he was in a similar situation as the 5th big that year.

Not even that. Gallo was on the trade block in Jalen's rookie season and nothing was done to prepare him for the role for the upcoming season.

• Like 1

ONCE UPON A TIME !!

What a difference a year makes!  Compare right now and one year ago today.

In football, imagine sending a quarterback into a game with no plays.  Just go out there and lead us!  Now, just imagins a NBA team's offense:  "Just roll the ball out there and see what happens!"

The great difference I see this season:  The ability to go out at halftime with a plan and adjustments for the second half.  This shows up in the 3rd quarter.  As someone has posted, the Atlanta Hawks, in this winning streak, has always won the 3rd quarter.  Could we say this last season?

Long ago, when he was a rookie, JJ was asked, "Which one do you want to do?  Go to the G League and play meaningful minutes or stay with the Hawks and be nailed to the bench?"  He answered correctly.  He went to Skyhawks !!

Ball hog!  It still rears it's head occasionally.  Old habits are hard to break.  Hawks continue to grow and look more and more like a team effort is being made.

And, this season, making free throws are still very important and just maybe the team has started to believe this.  

The next loss is somewhere out there in our future.  When it comes, please do not panic.  Quin and his entire staff will look at the evidence of why it happened and adjust the team for the next game.  This is the great difference because this year's team will listen and we will all see the results.

:smug:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Diesel if your boss at works tells you that you can take a $2/hr pay decrease or you're fired, and you choose to take the pay decrease, how would it make you feel if a bunch of people started saying "DIESEL CHOSE TO TAKE A PAY DECREASE.

Nope.  It says, "Diesel kept his job because there was no other work available and he has bills to pay!"

:ahf:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1