Official Game Thread: Hawks at Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

1 minute ago, enrique said:

Plus Minus rating is one of the worst there is. It is best for looking within the team to see how players stack up against the overall outcome of the game. In other words, if we lose by 25 and Trae is -10, then that is actually not a horrific result. If we win by 20, and Trae is a net zero, then his game was awful.

I have pulled relative plus/minus for the season on most teams (not updated in the last 5-6 games). The results are helpful.

Using it to compare player A to player B on different teams is worthless IMO. It is more an indicator of how good the overall team is.

Idk about that. I remember John had 28/12 v. Toronto, actually played decent defense for John standards and had a -31. While Jones had a +18 in the same game. While Trae +/- might be more indicative, I notice it's all over the place for the others.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Idk about that. I remember John had 28/12 v. Toronto, actually played decent defense for John standards and had a -31. While Jones had a +18 in the same game. While Trae +/- might be more indicative, I notice it's all over the place for the others.

I think the main point I was making is that I would agree with Pop on this one. Have never valued this stat compared to other ones. I am a bigger fan of on/off, than plus minus. I do like looking at 3-man, 4-man, and 5-man plus/minus in trying to see how different players perform together. Your preferred stat of RAPTOR meshes the two which might be a better compromise. Regardless, if you play for a crap team, your plus minus will be in the trash can pretty badly😂 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Cwell said:

No how Quinn was able to run a simple ass cover 3 scheme with Seattle and the Legion of Boom, and how it doesn't work without a bunch of established veteran pro bowlers

😂 I’m getting depressed again about Atlanta sports please...stop

50 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Obviously he does or he wouldn’t think the way he does.

Collins is never going to be the core piece to a winning team.

He is only points and rebounds. He doesn’t make his teammates  better to any real degree. 

Tonight was just another example as to why this core isn’t going to translate to success.

Well defensively sure but I will remind you the 25 games he missed collins on and off ball screening was greatly missed as well as his movement for a big man. That’s 2 things that are major  in his game that gets badly overlooked because it don’t show up in the box score 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well defensively sure but I will remind you the 25 games he missed collins on and off ball screening was greatly missed as well as his movement for a big man. That’s 2 things that are major  in his game that gets badly overlooked because it don’t show up in the box score 

I see it, but I think Atlanta will soon be at a crossroads over what to do going forward with John.  The fit between he and Clint Capela isn’t going to be great.  The issue with John right now is that he is not a center piece of the offense relative to the team running plays for him and having him do his thing.  He is also not a center piece of the defense.  

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

I see it, but I think Atlanta will soon be at a crossroads over what to do going forward with John.  The fit between he and Clint Capela isn’t going to be great.  The issue with John right now is that he is not a center piece of the offense relative to the team running plays for him and having him do his thing.  He is also not a center piece of the defense.  

So John is a piece of Chocolate Chess Pie . . . . a very good dessert . . . but you can't make it the main entree

Image result for chocolate chess pie

But we need him to be a main course, like a deep fried turkey . . . that everyone can feed off of and will love.

Image result for deep fried turkey

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

• Moderators

We came out with poor effort.  If Cleveland didn't suck they would have run us off the court in the first quarter.  (more than they did)

Not to go all KB on it but we do need a veteran wing.  Heurter, Cam, and Hunter make so many mistakes and when they are all making them on the same night it's ugly.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

We came out with poor effort.  If Cleveland didn't suck they would have run us off the court in the first quarter.  (more than they did)

Not to go all KB on it but we do need a veteran wing.  Heurter, Cam, and Hunter make so many mistakes and when they are all making them on the same night it's ugly.  

They all do make too many mistakes. Honestly outside of Dedmon, this team is doing too much but not doing enough. 

• Like 1