• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: 76ers "at" Hawks

lethalweapon3

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

We definitely need to see more of Knight. I honestly think he's by far outplayed Bruno for backup big man minutes.

Bruno = a fullback that gets maybe 1 carry, but is a vital lead blocking back in the run game.

If he doesn't play, and neither Knight or Okongwu screen properly for our guards, the offense will suffer.

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Me when I first saw SHill shoot:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47trg2l72rqpxctik5lf

Me after realizing ..... ya know,not so bad:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47jz340y3ucizvot25nw

Also agree on Capela and his reboarding.  His go-go-gadget arms me we smile.

I still recoil whenever Solo even touches the basketball on offense. The shots have been falling though so as long as he's not dribbling, I guess keep feeding him. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

A nice win when we needed ut the most. Quite refreshing, it doesn't matter who we played against. 

Now let's get some more wins of the road. GO HAWKS!

image.png

This Collins line, however, is very concerning. Not one single shot at the rim. I guess Capela does clog the paint, after all. At least John is hitting his 3s.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Dakin said:

I still recoil whenever Solo even touches the basketball on offense. The shots have been falling though so as long as he's not dribbling, I guess keep feeding him. 

+1000 to this. LP needs to give him a two dribble limit before he has to pass the ball. He's been better as of late, but his early attempts at playmaking were Shaqtin' a fool level comedy gold. I laughed so hard I couldn't even be mad at him for screwing up. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bruno = team balance

Not a coincidence that the team won, when he was inserted back into the lineup to balance out the team.

Knight is much more active than Bruno, no doubt about that.  But is he better for team balance?

Bruno not only had 2 assists that led to made 3 pointers ( Hunter and Goodwin ),

• he also set screens for Trae that directly led to two more 3 pointers
  • 2 screens that Brandon Goodwin used off the dribble to score a 2 and a 3 for 5 points
  • and a screen that directly led to a Kevin Huerter 3 off the dribble

For the class, that's . .

• 2 points directly scored by Bruno
  • 8 points scored off of Bruno assists
  • 14 points scored directly off of a Bruno screen
  • Total = 24 points directly or indirectly because of Bruno, in 21 minutes of play.

Once again, he's the only big on the team that sets screens for contact, instead of slipping the screen, looking to receive the pass to score.  Because of that, he's enabling his teammates on the floor to get better looks at the basket.

Watch the made FGs on video from last night.  You can see it for yourself.

https://www.nba.com/game/phi-vs-atl-0022000153/box-score

Adding value to Bruno's screens as directly contributing is a stretch at best.  Literally an inanimate objects can do that.  How about grabbing offensive boards or having the awareness to catch a pass or actually roll to the rim off those screens.  

It's crazy that Trae, the best lob thrower in the NBA, has yet to throw an oop to this guy.  Hell, Knight was able to catch one from Trae in his FIRST NBA game. 

He's way too hesitant.  That's what's holding him back. 

Edited by gHost83
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, marco102 said:

No one says much about this, but Solomon Hills shooting has been a welcomed surprise early in the season.  

Remember, this is our core team + Solomon Hill.  They're going to look terrible at times and others look like tonight.  They are showing growth.  There's still a ton to work on.  I'm much happier about the defensive performance last night than the offense coming back to life. 

Trae showed some really good defensive moments. He had some bad ones too, but the effort is most definitely improved.   When this team starts hitting shots they are front runners and look so legit.   Just have to learn how to be scrappy on the defensive end when the shots aren't falling.

His touch has always been mediocre. I think we need to give him more time on the defensive end to get settled in.   He's for sure solved the rebounding problem though. 

He's a tremendous rebounder. But Hakeem Olajuwon he aint.

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

A nice win when we needed ut the most. Quite refreshing, it doesn't matter who we played against. 

Now let's get some more wins of the road. GO HAWKS!

image.png

This Collins line, however, is very concerning. Not one single shot at the rim. I guess Capela does clog the paint, after all. At least John is hitting his 3s.

Capela is hurting JC's game around the basket for sure. 

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Adding value to Bruno's screens as directly contributing is a stretch at best.  Literally an inanimate objects can do that.  How about grabbing offensive boards or having the awareness to catch a pass or actually roll to the rim off those screens.  

It's crazy that Trae, the best lob thrower in the NBA, has yet to throw an oop to this guy.  Hell, Knight was able to catch one from Trae in his FIRST NBA game. 

It's like Bruno doesn't realize how strong and athletic he is. He should be dunking everything within a 3 foot radius of the rim. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, macdaddy said:

My biggest disappointment with capela so far is his touch around the rim is horrible and his D in the post has been spotty.   Maybe i just didn't  know these things about him

His D is at around what it has been maybe a tad diminished, his scoring in general is still waaay behind what it was before the injuries. 

Edited by Atlantaholic

4 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Your 1st statement is incorrect.

If screens weren't valuable in the NBA, teams wouldn't run pick and roll.  There is tons of video evidence from this year, and especially from last year, showing how Bruno putting a body on a defender has constantly freed up our shooters for open 3s off the dribble or floaters in the paint.  He holds his screens, not slips it.  Even on hand offs to guards, he'll frequently hand the ball off, and still manage to screen the player covering our guard.  This is also how Bruno gets some of his assists. 

Here's a very good video breaking down how Trae scores off of the pick and roll.  Bruno + Trae clips are at 3:25 . . 3:43 . . 3:48 . . 3:58 . . 4:14

Your 2nd statement is correct, but only because Bruno is holding his screen and seeking contact, enabling Trae to turn the corner and get into the lane for his floater.  If Bruno didn't seek contact, he'd roll early like everyone else, looking for the lob.  Bruno, in limited playing time has 6 assists on the season.  But 13 baskets have been scored after Bruno passed the player the ball.  Why?  Because he tends to run out to the perimeter to set the screen, which frees up the ball handler to make a 3 or a shot going toward the basket.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1628981/passes-dash/?sort=AST&dir=1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Totals

It is not a coincidence that when you look at Bruno's best 2-man combination lineup, Trae Young is at the top of the list at a ( +26 ) points per 100 possessions.   2 Trae floaters for 4 pts > 1 lob to Bruno for 2 points

Your 3rd statement is correct.  He should open up and be more aggressive to look for his own offense. He has the skills to do it.

• Thanks 1