• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

• Premium Member

Cam is the 5th best free throw shooter in the NBA currently shooting 90%. He's set a solid foundation for his game this season and just gotta continue to build on it. Three point shot is consistent. Shows that on balance Cam is the best Cam.

All he gotta do now is get his fg% up by building strength and fine tuning his inside game and we got an all star. Tighten up his defense and build on his passing flashes and we might have a superstar.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Do you guys think Cam will ever stop taking fadeaway, off-balance mid-rangers with 15 left on the shot clock?  I can see a reality where he develops into a true star player and i can also see one where he middles around with amazing talent but low BBIQ and stays inconsistent his career.  I saw this with my Cam jersey on for what its worth -- the reality I want is for him to develop into the dependable #2 option with the Hawks

I hope we don't make poor moves out of sheer impatience.

I would hope he gets better as he ages. Considering how much development time he has missed due to Covid and then injuries, he is taking baby steps in improving - it may not be as quickly as some like, but the consistent improvement is what you need to see.

I keep saying Trae spoiled us, he was ready made for this right out of the box...Cam isn't- some guys just take a little longer to grow into their bodies (he's still growing about 7''3" by now :stirthepot:) and skillset. And that's not saying he definitely will....but I've seen the improvement to think he can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, aali34 said:

He's set a solid foundation for his game this season and just gotta continue to build on it.

Said people since forever. His outcomes continue to be wide and probably will remain so up until the point that he's looking for a big offer sheet.

Here's his draft profile from The Stepien. Most of these things remain true years later.

Mentality Overview: Inconsistent and passive. His flashes on offense were really nice, but when he wasn’t doing something that really popped, he was floating around in the background doing nothing. Defense was way more consistent throughout the year. Way more “dull moments” overall than flashes. Going back to HS, he had the inconsistent and carefree label as well.

Role: 3/D player with secondary/tertiary playmaking. His shot should come in time with some tweaks to his form (and making the release more consistent), but that’s the only “safe” part of his offensive game. There could be more to come based on the flashes and what he’s shown in the past, but he also could just be unable to develop the passing, handle, etc to a professional level…that’s also possible.

Offensive Swing Factor: Becoming a more consistent shooter, ball-handling, and finishing ability.
Defensive Swing Factor: Consistency, awareness, and pulling back on the risky plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Do you guys think Cam will ever stop taking fadeaway, off-balance mid-rangers with 15 left on the shot clock?  I can see a reality where he develops into a true star player and i can also see one where he middles around with amazing talent but low BBIQ and stays inconsistent his career.  I saw this with my Cam jersey on for what its worth -- the reality I want is for him to develop into the dependable #2 option with the Hawks

I hope we don't make poor moves out of sheer impatience.

Man you've been going hard on the get rid of Cam train lately...lol

I think like anything with most young players he will improve.  His shot selection has improved within the season.  Most of his misses are within the flow of the offense and good looks. He just needs to work on his midrange game in the offseason. He's already improved his finishing at the rim and three point shooting.  I believe he is second or third on the team in free throw rate. 

He has all the makings of a solid #2 if he can get his two point percentage to around 45% next season. 

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What are Cam's weaknesses as a basketball player?   It's largely decision making.

Seriously?

• Staying attentive defensively
  • Being too eager for steals
  • Rebounding
  • Help defense
  • Making the extra pass
  • Mid-range shooting
  • Scoring at the rim
  • Like 4

I think when the main pieces of your roster are well below 25 and you have a special talent like Cam or even Hunter you just give them time to develop, when they reach 25/26 then you already have an idea of what they are going to be and then you make  a decission. We don’t need to win a ring today. If you want to improve the roster at wing position use Gallo, Delon, Lou, Dieng, Bogi or Huerter or a draft pick.  If you include Huerter must be for a real special player. You just don’t give up on 2 way player with star potential.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Seriously?

• Rebounding
  • Help defense
  • Making the extra pass
  • Mid-range shooting
  • Scoring at the rim

Look at all those things and compare to last year.  Recently he's improved them. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Said people since forever. His outcomes continue to be wide and probably will remain so up until the point that he's looking for a big offer sheet.

Here's his draft profile from The Stepien. Most of these things remain true years later.

He has played 116 NBA games though.

Take a look at Grant's 1st 3 years in the league, heck look at his 6 years.  Until last year in Detroit when he was miscast as a lead guy, he was slotted as a valuable rotation piece in OKC and Denver as a 3rd/4th option - which will be his role again if playing for the Hawks.  He's not getting 17 shots a game here.  He may be more consistent in the things he does well more so than Cam because of his experience. 

What is the one thing standout thing that Grant does well?

image.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I think when the main pieces of your roster are well below 25 and you have a special talent like Cam or even Hunter you just give them time to develop, when they reach 25/26 then you already have an idea of what they are going to be and then you make  a decission. We don’t need to win a ring today. If you want to improve the roster at wing position use Gallo, Delon, Lou, Dieng, Bogi or Huerter or a draft pick.  If you include Huerter must be for a real special player. You just don’t give up on 2 way player with star potential.

NOT MY HUERTER!!!

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What are Cam's weaknesses as a basketball player?   

5 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Seriously?

• Rebounding
  • Help defense
  • Making the extra pass
  • Mid-range shooting
  • Scoring at the rim

All true. Doesn't mean he can't improve on them given time.  Again 116 NBA games, that not even 2 full years of NBA games.

• Like 1