• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Spurs at Hawks

lethalweapon3

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Waaaaaay too little discussion in this thread about our defense.

First and foremost our defense I agree. We close off on 3 point shooters like a high school team, no follow through, just going through the motions.

When the game starts, we act with no urgency and just make lackluster plays on both ends.

Agree though, defense first, but as far as offense, 2 things stand out.

1. We need to shoot better

2. Somebody (a guard; Bogi Huerter Wright, Lou,) needs to step up when our SUPERSTAR Trae has an off night.

Factoid: Nique had off nights too. Sometimes the matchups are tough, this is the best league in the world. It’s not easy. Nique had his Rodman’s and maybe Trae had his Murray’s who the heck knows but I don’t expect Trae to be Superman and nobody should, it’s unrealistic. Superhuman workload as is, there will be off nights folks. I hate to tell ya we were going 27-0 till the end.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I’m watching Stockton in a damn rerun of the AS game in Phoenix.  This dude is boxing out Bigs and running give and go.  It’s just a level of Point Guarding that Trae will never get and why I posted this summer about how much distance there would be between his and Stockton's fourth years in terms of win shares after being nearly identical for the first three.  Trae on pace for 8.4.  Stock had 14.

Stockton is the greatest point guard in the history of the NBA. I don't know if that's a great comparison for any PG including Trae. 

Trae's defense he showed in that seven game winning streak was there and it was tangible. He clearly was giving more effort on defense and sticking with his guy. I couldn't watch last night's game so I can't speak to what he did but it sounds like he was back to being passive Trae on defense.

He has to give more effort on defense. The problem is he's expected to be the only scorer AND playmaker every time on offense. Stockton wasn't asked to be Stockton AND Malone and then play at Stockton's All NBA defense level. 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Something I would love to know. Why do we fail to cover weak side corner threes? Like, consistently, every game this season. We always give up that shot. It is the easiest three to make in the game. And yet we seem by scheme to give up that shot every game and just pray that the other team misses wide open corner threes on the weak side. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Something I would love to know. Why do we fail to cover weak side corner threes? Like, consistently, every game this season. We always give up that shot. It is the easiest three to make in the game. And yet we seem by scheme to give up that shot every game and just pray that the other team misses wide open corner threes on the weak side. 

We're like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football away. Fall for it everytime.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Teams play us to double down on the middle drive/baseline post.. and we do.. and it leaves that corner three wide open .

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Stockton is the greatest point guard in the history of the NBA. I don't know if that's a great comparison for any PG including Trae. 

Trae's defense he showed in that seven game winning streak was there and it was tangible. He clearly was giving more effort on defense and sticking with his guy. I couldn't watch last night's game so I can't speak to what he did but it sounds like he was back to being passive Trae on defense.

He has to give more effort on defense. The problem is he's expected to be the only scorer AND playmaker every time on offense. Stockton wasn't asked to be Stockton AND Malone and then play at Stockton's All NBA defense level. 

Chris Paul and Steph Curry are clearly better than Stockton and there is a massive gap between Trae and Stockton in terms of winning value. The greatest PG of all time is Earvin Magic Johnson.

Stockton is right above Steve Nash. Some people can interchange them. After that, you have Kidd and Payton. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Chris Paul and Steph Curry are clearly better than Stockton and there is a massive gap between Trae and Stockton in terms of winning value. The greatest PG of all time is Earvin Magic Johnson.

Prisoner of the moment maybe.   Steph is in a class of his own as a shooter.  CP3 is a great leader.   However, Stockton could do both well.  His passing was great and his defense was very underrated.   Magic was a great player but greatest PG of all time? It's questionable if he was better than Isaiah. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Run the damn PnR. Attacking mismatches is a Nate staple and it's just not as successful as it should be.

They are crowding the paint and baiting for steals. Teams know Atlanta spams the PnR.

24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Prisoner of the moment maybe.   Steph is in a class of his own as a shooter.  CP3 is a great leader.   However, Stockton could do both well.  His passing was great and his defense was very underrated.   Magic was a great player but greatest PG of all time? It's questionable if he was better than Isaiah. 

Man, if I wasn't on a warning...

• Moderators
8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Also, that's what the DMs are for.

If people have personal attack comments that they want to direct toward someone, they should do it there.

Just to be clear, it is not ok to attack people in DMs either.  Just treat each other decently regardless of whether it is posts, DMs or anything else.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Stockton is right above Steve Nash. Some people can interchange them. After that, you have Kidd and Payton. 

No. Just no. Stockton was All Defense and All World in terms of assists, running a team, making shots when it was time to make shots. He has no peer including Magic Johnson. It isn't even close. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

No. Just no. Stockton was All Defense and All World in terms of assists, running a team, making shots when it was time to make shots. He has no peer including Magic Johnson. It isn't even close. 

Magic Johnson is one in a tier of his own like MJ like at SG.

CP3 and Curry have surpassed Stockton years ago. 

If you want to argue Nash v. Stockton, I am all ears but I am not entertaining the idea that Stockton is a top 3 PG of all time. 

Curry is much better. 

CP3 is much better. 

Magic is the GOAT for PGs. 

It doesn't need a debate, it's a fact.

Truth is, I forgot about Zeke who's 4th of all time. Stockton is fighting for 5th with Nash. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Magic Johnson is one in a tier of his own like MJ like at SG.

CP3 and Curry have surpassed Stockton years ago. 

If you want to argue Nash v. Stockton, I am all ears but I am not entertaining the idea that Stockton is a top 3 PG of all time. 

Curry is much better. 

CP3 is much better. 

Magic is the GOAT for PGs. 

It doesn't need a debate, it's a fact.

Truth is, I forgot about Zeke who's 4th of all time. Stockton is fighting for 5th with Nash. 

I completely disagree with you. Get back to me when Magic has more assists and steals that Stockton has in a career. Oh wait. He doesn't and never will. Stockton is so far ahead of anyone on those two that no player will ever break those records.

To compare Stockton to Curry is an insult. CP3? Please. There's no point in even discussing this.

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I completely disagree with you. Get back to me when Magic has more assists and steals that Stockton has in a career. Oh wait. He doesn't and never will. Stockton is so far ahead of anyone on those two that no player will ever break those records.

To compare Stockton to Curry is an insult. CP3? Please. There's no point in even discussing this.

Magic literally got HIV, his stats crush Stockton's and it's not even close. His impact is one of the GOATs, Stockton isn't even close to CP3, Zeke, or Curry much less Magic.

Bro, I know you idolize son but he's not in the league area code as any of the top 3 PGs and Zeke is ahead of him by a good margin due to his team's success and leadership abilities. 

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

:indifferent: Really? He’s #1 all time assists and steals and he can’t crack Supes top 4 of his own position all time? Supes man you’re losin me. :fie:

He played 19 years, you are losing yourself on this one. You aren't losing me.