• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is definitely a positive.  If you watch closely, most of the players don't seem to be quite shot ready whenever they receive the pass and that's what causes the miss.

Korver has his work cut out for him.

The good news for tonight, our starting and backup PFs were 5/8 from 3 for 62.5%. Hopefully we see a repeat performance next game.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Thats misleading 

. When you shoot 60% you don't have many rebounds out there.

We outrebounded them if you calculate % of avialable defense (and offensive rebounds) snagged. Out of 28 available defensive rebounds Hawks got 25 or 90% while the Cavs collected 37 rebounds on our 49 misses or 76% of available rebounds. Offensively Hawks grabbed 10 rebounds in 49 chances or 20% of chances, while the Cavs grabbed 3 in 28 chances or 11%. So while looking at the totals is misleading it is a fact that the Hawks outplayed the Cavs on the glass tonight. 

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

Ehhh...  I think this is subjective.  If we're talking open shots, we do get them now just like in previous seasons and they're not falling.  At the same time, there should be more.  We should be dialing up open shots with this backcourt.  There's no way to cover Trae, DJM, and the PNR...unless you ignore the passing game and perimeter threat of a team that isn't really moving the ball and is unapologetically inept and/or unconcerned with 3 point shooting.

Uhmm...

That's why the looks are so clean.  Teams will sell out to stop the PNR and Lob..   We just have not been able to make them pay...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Uhmm...

That's why the looks are so clean.  Teams will sell out to stop the PNR and Lob..   We just have not been able to make them pay...

We're not disagreeing entirely...if much at all.  They will live with open 3's from the Holidays.  They (and anyone else) has to prove they can pull the defense out and they can expect the same guys taking those shots every game - and fewer of them overall than most teams in the NBA.  That is far more desirable than having to chase the ball and close out on Trae or Dejounte (or even Hunter/AJ).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

We get open threes as a team except for Trae. The Holliday brothers are just bad. There's no other way to say it. Justin Holliday in particular is just bad. Trading Kevin for that bum, another bum we flipped almost immediately to avoid the LT and a phantom first will go down as one of the most pathetic trades in Hawks history. Literally gave away a good young player for basically nothing just so the owner can avoid paying the tax. Pathetic.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Wretch said:

I also need to stress that I'm not bitter over the loss.  It was a good game that just followed predictable patterns.  Despite the 1st quarter debacle, the game basically boiled down to the 5 point swing after that ridiculous clear path call which...was there even a foul?  Looked like Collins got a lot of ball and the contact was initiated by a forearm from Cedi.

Bad call, but to put that as the reason we lost is a cop-out. It was clearly a foul, so he would have had free throws regardless. It did give them an extra possession, but we we were bricking our threes as usual. 

11 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

The Cavs guards work way harder off the ball to create opportunities for themselves. Our offense is too stagnant in comparison. Trae & Murray do not need to be always be initiating our offense. We can get them easier looks by involving other players even if it comes at the cost at more turnovers. We improvise way too much because we make ourselves easy to defend.

Bingo. But I wouldn't put it on the players the Hawks run three plays it seems. 

I think this game could have looked a lot different with Hunter playing.  I thought there was a lot of terrible calls, especially two offensive fouls that got called as blocks on JC.  Then you had the clear path, which if that is anywhere close to a clear path they need to change the rule.  It shouldn't be a "clear path" inside the 3 point line.    

Getting really tired of the 40% shooting TraeIverson.  Still concerned that the lower shooting is partially/mostly due to scheme and personnel issues.  At least we had Jalen, JC, and AJ shooting well tonight.  If Bogi and Hunter are in the game we could be hitting 12-14 threes a night regularly.  

I noticed a couple late in the shot clock passes to either Trae or DJM and then Trae launches a shot over the backboard at the last minute.  But I think those moments describe our offense in a nutshell.  They pass to someone on the frontline and they take a dribble and then realize they can't make a Gallo move to get a good shot off.  Then it's a pass back to either Trae or DJM and they have to go ISO.  So, why is Trae shooting 40% and being a ball hog?  Go figure. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, marco102 said:

This is definitely a positive.  If you watch closely, most of the players don't seem to be quite shot ready whenever they receive the pass and that's what causes the miss.

This is what i've been saying is that once we start hitting 3s we will be fine.   But i think I might be wrong actually.   Trae will improve but who else are we expecting a 'bounce back' from.  JC will improve a little but he's a low volume 3 point shooter.   Hunter, Holidays, Murray are all not that far off their career numbers.  AJ is shooting about what you'd expect from a rookie and who knows what to expect from Jalen.  

I think, without bogi, we're just a bad 3 point shooting team as a whole.   And that's a big problem.  Bad 3 point shooting teams don't contend in this league.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

AJ is shooting about what you'd expect from a rookie

Ahhhh not quite. I don’t remember having a Hawks rookie this capable. I don’t care if he’s shooting 20%, dude knows when to get timely buckets and has one of the best FEELS I’ve seen from a rook.

• Like 4

Hawks two rookies, AJ & JJ, are playing well.  Yes, JJ is a rookie.  Check out how many hours he played last season.  He's already played a lot more this season than he played all last season.

The Hawks had three great three point shooters last season.  Two were traded away and the third, Bogie, hasn't played this season.  Add Trae's slow start to the season and we begin to see.

Cleveland couldn't miss.  Atlanta couldn't hit.  Yet the score stayed close until the clear path foul and the Cav's got 5 points out of the play.  Hit both free throws, got the ball and hit the three.  Momentum quickly jumped to our opponent's side and stayed there.  Would have been better just to get out of his way and let him hit the two.  

Red Velvet, coming home for Thanksgiving, will be here Wednesday night.  The Kings are on a big roll, winning game after game.  Expect another hard game coming up.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 4