Official Game Thread: Hawks at Rockets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

I want to say this too about the defense, and I know some of you are not gonna like it...lol

A part of defense IS offense.  All too often, the human element of this game is overlooked - but these are humans, not robots on the court.  The game may be mechanical and repetitive, but there are intangibles that bring unpredictability.  Two big intangibles are confidence and concentration and they have a profound impact on how a player performs.

Defense isn't played at the same intensity when you lose confidence.  Body language is different.  Guys hang their heads and take their time getting back up the court.  I'm sure there are some mental warriors out there like Kobe and MJ, but not everybody has that.  Getting the team to rally as a unit isn't as straightforward as getting a single player to get it in gear.  There's just a different energy when you're down 20 as opposed to being down in single digits. 

That same energy is there when you're up.  I think teams get confident playing us.  They get hungry, they go on a little run, they get some good stops, their confidence grows and they just get hot.  You see it every game where we're battling back from these double-digit deficits.

People forget how good these players are.  With enough motivation and confidence, they all of a sudden remember that they're professionals.  They know that all goals are 10' high and 18" wide - and when they're hot and confident, they probably see those measurements in reverse.  I know I did when I played.

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I understand CC was out, but how can we get out rebounded like that? Just another inexplicable Hawks indignity. 

Obviously were plenty of opportunities.  Bad showing by our forwards and big men.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No team have 2 dynamic PGs like we have either.  Both guys were red hot last night.

The more I read these comments, the more I think all of this is about getting AJ the ball so that we can celebrate him having a great shooting game.  The fact that he got no more touches, despite having complete control of the game for 3 quarters, has irritated everyone.

I honestly don't think most people cared if Hunter or Collins or anyone else on the team getting more shots.  They just wanted AJ to get more shots.

I honestly think Collins and Hunter would thrive under a new system. Almost want them to be traded so fans will see they aren't the sole problem. Ya gotta run plays for these guys. 

I just think the Hawks would be a much more exciting team with ball movement and balance. They have the speed and quickness. NBA fans around the country are on notice now. Trae is "lil fella", a meme, a wannabe villain and DJM is now considered a fake tough guy. 

SdE5CP1 (5).png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

Obviously were plenty of opportunities.  Bad showing by our forwards and big men.

Agreed and that is the thing that really pissed me off about last night's performance. I can deal with getting out rebounded by superior players, but f*** getting out rebounded simply due to the other team having more effort and energy. That's nothing to do with talent, just them outworking us.

That needs to be rectified.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

Frank the Tank is not a NBA player anymore. We need a center that can actually rebound. Waive him and pick up Boogie as a FA. He's desperate to latch on and can still bang down there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Let me share what I hear on the last 15 pages of this thread.

I said early, we had a rebound deficit of 31 and that was the ball game.  We gave Houston 31 more possessions than we had.. and that was the ball game.  However, people are arguing everything else.  This is what it sounds like...

"Doc, I know I'm dying from Stage 4 cancer.  But I'm blaming you because you havent cured my ingrown toenail.  Did you see that toenail....It's hideous.  I'm going to get you out of the practice because of this ingrown toenail.  You shouldn't be a doctor at all.   That ingrown toenail hurts like the dickens.. it's probably why all my lab tests come back bad.   It's probably why my A1C is off and my blood pressure is high.  It's probably why I can't get out of the bed in the morning.  Doc, you have to treat this ingrown toenail. "

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Frank the Tank is not a NBA player anymore. We need a center that can actually rebound. Waive him and pick up Boogie as a FA. He's desperate to latch on and can still bang down there.

I watched a few plays with Frank last night and it was dreadful.   At one time, I saw him literally turn his back, put his hands over his head so the ball wouldn't hit him coming off the backboard...  It was like this...

Safety position in the event of a severe thunderstorm (if you are... |  Download Scientific Diagram

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jody23 said:

You're never as good as you think you are.

I learned this lesson the hard way the other day. I was show boatin in front of some kids at the gym and got a lil too hyphy and went up aggressively.. picture Shawn Kemp (in a 1999 Kemp body not 89)… anyways I nearly came down on my ankle, I twisted it half way but played it cool 😎 

I had made like 12-15 from deep and just felt like Spudjokavic II. 

You are never bigger than the game at any stage ever. No megging no tapping people on the head. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Seriously, why are you even doing this?  What's the point?  Just lame.

Personally, I don’t dig this. Didn’t really dig the Trae meg. I ain’t about that. I don’t like that cutesie bs. If I’m Jabari, I wringing DM neck. F all that, Hawk or not, nah. Play the game. That ain’t the Hawks way. 

Nate needs to shut this bull$hit down real quick. No more of this taunting. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Personally, I don’t dig this. Didn’t really dig the Trae meg. I ain’t about that. I don’t like that cutesie bs. If I’m Jabari, I wringing DM neck. F all that, Hawk or not, nah. Play the game. That ain’t the Hawks way. 

Nate needs to shut this bull$hit down real quick. No more of this taunting. 

Exactly.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I understand CC was out, but how can we get out rebounded like that? Just another inexplicable Hawks indignity. 

They did have 4 days of rest and are young and athletic. Not saying it should have happened to this extent, but with Clint being out, that probably had something to do with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

They did have 4 days of rest and are young and athletic. Not saying it should have happened to this extent, but with Clint being out, that probably had something to do with it.

We are young. Check our ages, everyone is in their early to mid 20's. Are we athletic? Apparently not.

6 hours ago, marco102 said:

It should’ve been even or advantage Hawks with Sengun out.  He only grabbed 19 boards in his return last night.