• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Mavericks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Refs are untouchable in the NBA, pretty much like that everywhere. They can admit they screwed up in the last two minutes of an NBA game but it changes absolutely nothing. You say anything and its free pizza for the NBA front office.

Yeah. I don’t think the NBA wants to re-officiate and replay every call that a zillionaire disagrees with. We’d never make it through one season due to replays of every game. Mark just needs to build a team of resilient players who can function in back-to-back games. Luka was shielded a lot last year and a lot this year. Not sure if something is going on that we are unaware of but it would concern me if I was a Mavs fan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

edit: Jay already posted the tweet about the protest

Hilarious. I think it was the correct call to begin with, but I'm not sure how anyone could honestly want a different result in that situation except for salty Mavs fans. It would a total sham to bail the Mavs out in that situation. 

They're also upset over the foul on Brunson. They could have a point there. The only replay I saw last night did look sketchy. Dedmon didn't seem to make a play on the ball. 

Edited by High5

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

2. Smith should get a goal tend for hitting the rim with the ball in the air.  (i could be wrong on that)

From what I know you can block it against the rim or the backboard but cannot pin the ball 🏀 against the backboard which he didn’t do anyways. Super close whether the ball was going up or down but since it was called goal tending on the floor then it cannot be overturned because there wasn’t overwhelming evidence showing the ball was indeed coming down. Moot. We win. Mavs can eat it. 

You know the color green is getting a bad rep. Beautiful color but the Celts and Mavs are ruining it for me. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

From what I know you can block it against the rim or the backboard but cannot pin the ball 🏀 against the backboard which he didn’t do anyways. Super close whether the ball was going up or down but since it was called goal tending on the floor then it cannot be overturned because there wasn’t overwhelming evidence showing the ball was indeed coming down. Moot. We win. Mavs can eat it. 

You know the color green is getting a bad rep. Beautiful color but the Celts and Mavs are ruining it for me. 🤦‍♀️ 

Smith hit the rim with his hand before blocking the shot but i looked it up and that's ok as long as it doesn't change the trajectory of the ball in anyway.  

6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

It was also nice to see how a well coached, vet team looked with Hardaway as their best player.  

Still hate we let him walk to save cap room just to resign Bazemore the following  offseason. THJ showed way more promise than Baze ever did. Kid would have been a star here

• Like 4

My take is you would ideally call a jump ball but at the time of the block, they had zero left so it would be a turnover but the ball hit the rim and Collins was in the air and finished it. It was a continuation play at that point. I don't know what the refs could have did. Either a Collins basket or goaltend was the only options.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Smith hit the rim with his hand before blocking the shot but i looked it up and that's ok as long as it doesn't change the trajectory of the ball in anyway.  

Ideally for Dallas, this would been better for them as the call than the real goaltending call which was going to be in Atlanta favor no matter what. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Ideally for Dallas, this would been better for them as the call than the real goaltending call which was going to be in Atlanta favor no matter what. 

No matter what. whether there was a whistle or not, that's a hawks basket.  So Cuban is basically saying they should gift the Mavs and take the basket away because a whistle blew while Collins was putting it in.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

No matter what. whether there was a whistle or not, that's a hawks basket.  So Cuban is basically saying they should gift the Mavs and take the basket away because a whistle blew while Collins was putting it in.  

A good quote on the issue from John Hollinger of The Athletic...

"In that sense, the Mavs’ chief request here is odd — if there was no whistle, the Hawks would have scored. Their beef is that the officials “robbed” them of a chance to tie because the remedy from a clearly blown goaltending call didn’t dramatically turn events in their favor, in a way that couldn’t possibly have happened organically. (This, indeed, is one of the less-discussed dangers of replay: It can change an either-or scenario into a completely alternate reality.)"

https://theathletic.com/1629735/2020/02/24/on-the-latest-cuban-whistle-crisis-what-it-means-and-what-he-wants/

• Like 4

12 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Oh wow really. I thought any touching of the rim while the ball is around the circumference is illegal? 🤔 

By the way Mac, this is getting to be a little naughty sounding... 😐 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

Oh wow really. I thought any touching of the rim while the ball is around the circumference is illegal? 🤔 

By the way Mac, this is getting to be a little naughty sounding... 😐 

That's all on you man.  A gentleman doesn't discuss such things but you Californication folks.....

It's definitely a judgement for the refs but i think they only call that basket interference if hitting the rim interferes with the ball in some way.  (oh no i did it!).

If there is any kind of ruling in mavs favor there better be a world of hell raised by hawks front office.  

• Haha 2