• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks -- GAME 2

lethalweapon3

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is what I was thinking as I listened (didn't watch) last night.  Like, the Hawks are playing basketball.  The knicks aren't.

That said, it sounded like we had control of the game despite all that.  So I remember thinking, 'keep playing basketball and we'll be fine'.  Then shots stopped dropping in the 3rd and the reserves let the Knicks back in.

But did the shots stop dropping because they failed to respond to the physicality?  I kept thinking, "why is every shot a 3?  why is no one penetrating?"

Those who watched, did you get that impression from body language and such?

I feel like, if we keep playing basketball, it should make their obvious non-basketball plays look as desperate as they are.  But "playing basketball" includes going to the basket when the jumper's aren't falling.

Good questions.  Not sure if they kept taking threes because they were wide open shots or if we were getting mugged with no calls on drives.  
Not sure how we would know for sure unless a player or coach mentions it.  
I can say our guys should feel like we can and should win this series.  Hoping it gets done in 5 games.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Some adjustments for game 3.

-Solo. Solo is a dog, a grinder, this series is made for him. Snell has been a non factor

-Get JC some deliberate touches. This team is a tough match up for JC as he's struggles against physical bigs, but we gotta get him going

-Play Trae more. Sometimes you gotta say "f it" and play your best player more minutes

Exactly

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is what I was thinking as I listened (didn't watch) last night.  Like, the Hawks are playing basketball.  The knicks aren't.

That said, it sounded like we had control of the game despite all that.  So I remember thinking, 'keep playing basketball and we'll be fine'.  Then shots stopped dropping in the 3rd and the reserves let the Knicks back in.

But did the shots stop dropping because they failed to respond to the physicality?  I kept thinking, "why is every shot a 3?  why is no one penetrating?"

Those who watched, did you get that impression from body language and such?

I feel like, if we keep playing basketball, it should make their obvious non-basketball plays look as desperate as they are.  But "playing basketball" includes going to the basket when the jumper's aren't falling.

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We quit running the offense.  It was usually one guy trying to make a play.  they just lost their composure a bit.  But it wasn't so much the crowd or defense or anything.  When Bogi/Gallo/Lou/Hunter started missing every wide open shot they had we just got out of sorts.   Bogi kept launching tough 3s for no reason.   

The thing everyone overlooks is the Knicks played like absolute crap.  In some ways worse than game one.   Rose saved their ass but they can't win this series on the backs of Rose and Gibson.  This ain't 2012 it's 2021.  If Randle and some others don't show up bigger they're toast unless we just totally implode.  

The Hawks can only beat themselves.  

McD pretty much summed it up. The Knicks got hot from 3 and we were just indiscriminately launching 3s to try and match in lieu of running the offense.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't know. They are making a big deal out of popcorn being dumped on Westbrook which is very wrong but Trae Young gets literally SPIT ON by a Knicks fan and nothing? I mean NOTHING is being said about it. Unreal.

It's being discussed. It was because the spitting incident was much more harder to see.  Westbrook's was much more blatant. 
Edited by marco102

• Premium Member

This is where Nate has to flexible enough to give Solo a few minutes.  Gallo is not a 30 minutes per game players, especially when he was as cold as Ice (not Trae):hehe:.  If he has that flame thrower going, that ok.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Good questions.  Not sure if they kept taking threes because they were wide open shots or if we were getting mugged with no calls on drives.  
Not sure how we would know for sure unless a player or coach mentions it.  
I can say our guys should feel like we can and should win this series.  Hoping it gets done in 5 games.  

Yeah, I hear you.  My questions were more looking for impressions from folks that watched.

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not strong enough.  "Indefinitely" banned?  "Indefinite" for what?  To see if they go to counseling to teach them not to spit on people?

If you determined, based on your investigation, that someone purposely spit on a player what TF else do you need to see to permanently ban them?

Would you prefer they injure a player before choosing not to take one person's money?  See, going overboard for something like this is how we try to avoid Monica Seles moments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, hawkman said:

After re-watching the incidents from last night, I'm impressed with how disciplined the Hawks were. They didn't really react to any of the nonsense the Knicks or the fans were pulling last night. If the NBA really cares about the "integrity of the game" enough to fine Nate for some pretty benign comments, they better back it up by getting a handle on some of the nonsense I saw last night. Some of that stuff last night was well beyond "90's style" basketball and everyone, including the officials, seem fine with it since it's the Knicks. 

They're not.  Because unless Trae really blows up into a guy that is must see TV on a nationwide scale ( which he is on the verge of becoming ), it is in the league's best interest to have the Knicks advance to the 2nd round.

Having said that, it's up to us to really play a lot better and more physical than what we've been playing.  But I only expect that physicality to come from our "tough" players.  Our fragile players are not going to play tough, because it is not in their DNA.  So they better make shots.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Gibson is getting away with mauling guys again.  

He’s done that his whole career. He’s a problem on the glass, we gotta get him down low where he’s weak. If you let him elevate he will get the board. Nothing cheap but lock him up down low a bit more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With all the Shenanigans - Hawks had every chance to win this game.  With 5:06 left, the score was tied at 91 on a Capela dunk.  Then it all went downhill. 

Bogi - missed 3, Capela - missed bunny, Bogi - missed 3, Hunter - missed 3, Hunter - missed 3, Young - missed 3, Bogi - missed 3, Hunter - missed alley hoop, Hunter - got fouled, hit 1 free throw - that was all Folks. So that is 

1 point in the last 5 minutes.🤢

Them boys looked worn out by that stage. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, hawkzlova123 said:

It's pretty awesome how trae altogether ignored the spitting . Was he even aware? If so that's incredible patience and ignoring non sense

He wasn't aware initially as he was focused on gettimg to the next play. He's locked in on what's going on on the court.

• Like 2

Yoooo though anyone catch his smile right before the lob to hunter?????

Yooo that camera angle the fans , the turn, the smile. That was s[ooooooooo iconic. 

If anyone can post it.

I loveee playoffs glad we can experience this with the knicks. 

• Like 1