• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to move John Collins? This again?

thecampster

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Lauri scored 38 points tonight, going 9-13 from three. The Finn is an incredible shooter. 

I still can’t believe we didn’t jump on that trade with Utah.  Per @Sothron it was LM and two 1sts for JC.  How could we turn that down?  Either it was bad info Soth was fed or our front office are really dumb.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Or it was before the season and into early season. I know it wasn't bad info. No one else nationally reported Utah's interest in JC until I broke here first, remember. 

There's more to this than just JC. Ressler is looking to avoid the luxury tax at least next season too. That means we're looking at needing to trade probably two guys like JC and Bogi or Capela or OO or Hunter in order to avoid the luxury tax next season. 

We are being fundamentally ****ed up the *** by Ressler as a pathetic owner that refuses to pay the LT. It directly has made us a worse team this season and looks to do the same for next season as well. You can't blame the front office if the owner refuses to pay the LT. It severely handicaps what you can do as a franchise.

Listening to Bobby Marks, us picking up Hunter was a given and supposedly we got a deal.  I suppose that he will be the easiest to ship off because we have players who can replace him. (AJG).   The issue is DJM.   I suppose the Trae/DJM match is going to have to show that it can work.   If not, we may be looking at a new coach who can make it work because i can't see us not maxing DJM .   If OO were a perfect match for Cap, then Cap would have been traded.  The only team that can accept salary right now is Indiana.  And maybe OKC.  I don't know what we will do. 

But I have to agree with you... Ressler's motive is not really winning the chip. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

Or it was before the season and into early season. I know it wasn't bad info. No one else nationally reported Utah's interest in JC until I broke here first, remember. 

There's more to this than just JC. Ressler is looking to avoid the luxury tax at least next season too. That means we're looking at needing to trade probably two guys like JC and Bogi or Capela or OO or Hunter in order to avoid the luxury tax next season. 

We are being fundamentally ****ed up the *** by Ressler as a pathetic owner that refuses to pay the LT. It directly has made us a worse team this season and looks to do the same for next season as well. You can't blame the front office if the owner refuses to pay the LT. It severely handicaps what you can do as a franchise.

I believe the info you got was real.  Just wondering if your source got fed something.

Either way, it was a bad job on our part that looks worse by the day.

And I believe you are right that Ressler is too worried about the bottom line instead of winning (which would actually bring in more money).

But since LM makes less and we would get two 1sts, wouldn’t this trade have kept us out of The LT?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Sothron said:

Don't know when you think you're going to be True to Atlanta, if not these two years that you have locked up all of your primary rotation assets... b/c after next season, free agency will almost unavoidably force substantial changes to a roster that, just within the last 6 months, was fortified with what was widely considered the final significant put-us-over-the-top asset... and we paid dearly for that, but it was supposedly so worth it.

Hence, any more deals made that are payroll-motivated deals and not championship-motivated deals are a complete slap in the face, Tony, to those who took your talk at face value.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's hard for me to imagine Hawks turning down a trade that included 2 first round picks coming our way.   Travis loves picks and they are the cheapest asset to own. 

Remember that was the first serious offer I was told we were offered. Lauri and two firsts to replace our missing firsts in the DJM trade and the way it came across those firsts would be the lowest possible coming back to us. Meaning it would be later in the draft but we'd at least have first rounders in those years to refill the roster. 

The thinking then was (and I agree with it) that you never take the first serious offer. You wait to see what other offers will look like. When Utah pulled that offer it still has left room to talk again about it. The better Lauri plays the more value he has and the Jazz coaching staff is crazy over Lauri. He's a good kid. Bluntly speaking he's a good kid that's a good white kid that is putting up All Star numbers for a franchise in a city/state that is heavily white. He is a very easy sell to Jazz fans from both his play on the court and his skin color. That matters to any ownership to have a guy you can market and build a team around.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Sothron said:

Ressler is looking to avoid the luxury tax at least next season too. That means we're looking at needing to trade probably two guys like JC and Bogi or Capela or OO or Hunter in order to avoid the luxury tax next season. 

Next season too. Good Grief!

WE ARE NEVER PAYING THE TAX!

WE WILL FOREVER BE ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

...... and two firsts to replace our missing firsts in the DJM trade and the way it came across

I don't like this approach. Worrying about 2 future 1st in 2025 and 2027 at the expense of putting the best possible team on the floor NOW.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

When the front office made the DJM trade, they effectively pushed all their chips in to the center of the table.

When the front office made the KVon trade, even though Kirschner has suggested payroll was the prime mover, one could still justify it from the standpoint that someone's on-court minutes were bound to suffer, and once you decide to roll with BogBog, it was only reasonable to move KVon for some draft capital.

That's it. That's the end of any way to rationalize any further payroll moves... and by inference, no way to rationalize a deal where the primary return is first round picks... short of some historically rare circumstance that presents an utterly unique scenario where you're able to obtain a diamond for the price of cubic zirconia.

EVERY move in this two-year window MUST be a basketball move... MUST be totally premised on winning the 2023 and/or 2024 championship. We've been building toward this moment for all these years. To do less is to render "True to Atlanta" as just a marketing line to mask the contentment with mediocrity.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Detroit is offering the other Bogi plus two firsts for JC is what I am hearing. Suns are trying to send us Crowder for JC in another possible scenario with draft picks coming our way in a three team trade.

It definitely sounds like we are willing to take a way lesser talent that technically counts as a starting PF as long as we get draft picks back.

This is confirmed from source btw. Not just my speculation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Detroit is offering the other Bogi plus two firsts for JC is what I am hearing. Suns are trying to send us Crowder for JC in another possible scenario with draft picks coming our way in a three team trade.

It definitely sounds like we are willing to take a way lesser talent that technically counts as a starting PF as long as we get draft picks back.

Bogdan at the PF rebounding wise is a scary sight. They better be darn near protectionless 1sts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

These are terrible trades. I mean terrible. The plan was never to get better if we do one of those trades.

man it’s tough being a hawks fan. It’s starting to be sure thing the owner and front office don’t care as much as us fans do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sothron said:

Remember that was the first serious offer I was told we were offered. Lauri and two firsts to replace our missing firsts in the DJM trade and the way it came across those firsts would be the lowest possible coming back to us. Meaning it would be later in the draft but we'd at least have first rounders in those years to refill the roster. 

The thinking then was (and I agree with it) that you never take the first serious offer. You wait to see what other offers will look like. When Utah pulled that offer it still has left room to talk again about it. The better Lauri plays the more value he has and the Jazz coaching staff is crazy over Lauri. He's a good kid. Bluntly speaking he's a good kid that's a good white kid that is putting up All Star numbers for a franchise in a city/state that is heavily white. He is a very easy sell to Jazz fans from both his play on the court and his skin color. That matters to any ownership to have a guy you can market and build a team around.

Same reason we passed on Luka. White Euros aren't maretkable in Atlanta, blah, blah blah. Stop worrying about skin color, and start focusing on if they are good basketball players. 

• Like 4

On 12/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, Diesel said:

Chris Bosh went from a 24/10 player to a 18/8 player and then to a 16/7 player. 

Kevin Love went from a 26/12 player to a 16/8 player... 

Changing dynamics, options and offenses can change your statline but I don't think it makes you a bad player. 

I didn't say he was a bad player. I just don't think he will ever be a 20/10 player on a really good team.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Same reason we passed on Luka. White Euros aren't maretkable in Atlanta, blah, blah blah. Stop worrying about skin color, and start focusing on if they are good basketball players. 

We as fans can say that. Telling billionaires to lose money is always a hard sell.

We literally took Trae over Luka based on projected income generated by both players. That's not conjecture it is literally why we did it.

• Like 1