• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at 76ers

lethalweapon3

Just finished watching. 16 point lead gone. Honesty, I don’t even know who to blame on this. Team loss I guess. J Hol was nailing threes, our lead just kept dwindling down. 

This is getting really depressing. 11-10 now and we are the 8th seed in the East. We were just the 3rd seed a week ago. 

Our clutchness and execution down the stretch is bad. 

Ar Disney world is a couple days. Outside of the Magic at 5, we have the longest losing streak in the East now at 3.

What is Schlenk thinking? Ressler? I don’t believe either are happy. Schlenk said he made the mistake of not being aggressive after the 2021 postseason when we lost to the Bucks. We made need to do something soon.

Go Hawks! 

ps I hated having to listen to the Sixers broadcast too. Abdelnaby and Kate something. Ugh 😩 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Honestly, he was making the correct plays, and not forcing a lot of stuff, like he normally does.  Playing like @terrell wants him to play . . unselfishly.

Trae with 18 and 10, with 3 turnovers and 6 - 14 FG.  If that's what people want, with everyone else scoring, we have to be able to execute down the stretch and get stops.

I thought Hunter played a pretty good 4th quarter.

I wonder what the Trae haters want now because offensively that’s CP3 like stats but that’s never going to be the best version of Trae unless we get another scorer on this team and even then that’s still not best version of Trae. We didn’t really have a defensive issue as much as offensive issue so I wonder what the haters want ?

8 hours ago, marco102 said:

Welp. They played better. This offense still needs some creativity. 

We are losing these games in the 4th quarter. 

Nate should have never let Lloyd's staff leave.

Yup! McMillan and this staff is garbage. No creative offensive mindset yet they have all of this talent in the palms of their hands, they really don’t know what to do with it.

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Who should shoot the hero shot?

J-Hol?

image.png.c1e9d8b7921528bbd6f8ef62154415b1.png

This is the stat line all the Trae haters want to see but this just doesn’t equal wins so I will never understand. I don’t like non aggressive Trae personally. Even Murray isn’t being aggressive offensively with this “everyone gets shot attempts” philosophy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Hawks have been in Atlanta for 40 years.  Greatest postseason in Atlanta history took place behind Trae.  Maybe that is damning with faint praise but I’ll happily play this out.

Shortened covid season.. It Doesnt count.. lol

But seriously, I enjoyed watching 2014- 2015 Hawks team way better..

They just happened to run into LBJ..

Ive never liked this Trae centric shit.

9 hours ago, Alf said:

One of my friends is a Spurs fan and I have been venting to him about how we are playing and all he ever responds is 'Well, can't win them all.' While that is certainly the truth, that doesn't take away from the fact of looking at your team and their struggles in both the short term and long term. Obviously still time to string some wins together and feel good about the team again, 61 f***ing games left, but if things do not change on a fundamental, tactical, whatever word you want to use level, sooner, rather than later, this season will be a wash.

I gauged the tenor of Spurs fans when we acquired Murray and they weren’t very upset with his departure from what I read, others may have seen different.  If anyone knows ball it’s Spurs fans who witnessed the Duncan Era.  I can kinda see why and I love guys who pressure on ball like he does.  Or was doing early in the season lol he’s been surrendering some pretty easy drives lately, I guess forcing Nate to play Vernon Forrest?  Is that his name?

I thought there was some grit to DJ’s offensive game but seeing how he really does nothing off ball and never gets to the line I was wrong in that assumption.  At least I can give Trae props for forcing his way to the stripe back toward league-leading levels after rules were changed almost specifically to limit he and Harden.

You’re pretty new here so you’re probably not familiar with my love affair with Delon Wright.  He was a near perfect compliment to Trae as can be seen in these lineup splits per 100 possessions.  They only played about 95 minutes together that season (driving me insane) but as you can see those minutes led to dominance.  He’s in nearly all the most lopsided + lineups (sorry you can’t see Gallo’s name that appears favorably as well but you can check the whole table out for yourself, I’m just focused on guard parings here)

911A1792-1158-49CC-8A5E-9AB48ED3548A.thumb.jpeg.48f9bc046b37aa5926d77d92b30d7e2d.jpeg

DJ and Trae have many of the same warts in their games and their preferences and dislikes overlap.  Delon never needed the ball, cut regularly, one of the best offensive rebounding guards last year, probed all areas of the floor, and had a passing style that literally forced teammates into aggression and high percentage shots.  Personality wise f&@k low maintenance he was no maintenance.  He draws and kicks more than them both combined.  He kept the ball over his head for quick overhead passing (one of my main gripes with Trae’s size at the point), faking passes, loved to swing it.  He was always talking and directing.  Immediately realized when to get off the ball and told whoever he passed to where it needed to go next if he had to get off.  I keep trying to impress upon fellow fans what a 126 offensive rating for a guard who never scores means.  He was more responsible for the 2nd ranked offensive rating last season than most will ever know.  The next highest rating in the last 5 years from a guard was Bogi the year before at 122 and he only shot .438 from three on volume with nearly 3 assists to one turnover.

Individual ratings against the team’s show who’s igniting good offense and defense, who’s pouring water on it, and who’s just carrying workload in a neutral manner based on what lineups they appear in.  Except for Cs who get unwarranted bumps in their offensive rating due to their high shooting percentages the shit jibes with eye test extremely accurately.  Mines anyway.

Obviously Delon being sidelined 4 games into the season isn’t ideal for the Wiz nor the Hawks had it happened here.  But his career defensive rating is 109.  That’s near C level impact on that end.  You say “benhilboy, the Hawks were ranked 27th in defense last season he wasn’t that impactful.”  We’ve gone over the give and take with Gallo and Kevin on the offensive and defensive side so that kinda explains it.  Clint wasn’t right all season either.  Anyone who could help ignite above average offense with Lou old ass on the floor deserves a resign I would think.

I don’t know the circumstances to him not resigning here, could’ve just been his preference or it could’ve been Nate (probably).  It’s not normal for a GM to play musical chairs with the PG position starting or BU.  I just rue the day it happened smh.  Dude was a coach on floor, when Nate tried to flex him out of the rotation I knew he wasn’t the man for the job.  Most contending team has a BU guard who can dominate the pace of second units and mesh with the first one.

These GMs just gotta make a media splash with signings not taking into account how skill sets, personalities, and tendencies fit.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Yep. It was a fluke. That's the best they will do with little troll Trae.

Yeah he scored and assisted like he always does, but Dude shot 41%FG and 31% 3pt and his Stans act like he was MJ in the 2021 Playoffs. lol. He wouldve shot us out of game 7 in Philly if it werent for Huerter....

Then Miami completely shut him down the following year..

And this year doesnt look to be going any better.

Hawks fans are delusional when it comes to Trae...

Three in a row.  I believe the Hawks played better in this game than the other two losses.  Didn't matter.  We still lost the game.  Sixers made some "I don't believe he hit that shot" scores.

If we are to believe, it is only a matter of time before we have a new head coach.  As I posted before, it's easier to fire the coach instead of firing the entire team.  Some assistant coaches expected to leave with Nate.  Maybe even a clean sweep.

With a new coach, will Bogie "suddenly" be available?  Well, he's almost ready and Nate is almost gone.  I hope we add Mark Williams to the team.  

A new month and a new coach?  December is almost here.  Change?  We know not when.

🧑‍🔧Still building!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I gauged the tenor of Spurs fans when we acquired Murray and they weren’t very upset with his departure from what I read, others may have seen different.  If anyone knows ball it’s Spurs fans who witnessed the Duncan Era.  I can kinda see why and I love guys who pressure on ball like he does.  Or was doing early in the season lol he’s been surrendering some pretty easy drives lately, I guess forcing Nate to play Vernon Forrest?  Is that his name?

I thought there was some grit to DJ’s offensive game but seeing how he really does nothing off ball and never gets to the line I was wrong in that assumption.  At least I can give Trae props for forcing his way to the stripe back toward league-leading levels after rules were changed almost specifically to limit he and Harden.

You’re pretty new here so you’re probably not familiar with my love affair with Delon Wright.  He was a near perfect compliment to Trae as can be seen in these lineup splits per 100 possessions.  They only played about 95 minutes together that season (driving me insane) but as you can see those minutes led to dominance.  He’s in nearly all the most lopsided + lineups (sorry you can’t see Gallo’s name that appears favorably as well but you can check the whole table out for yourself, I’m just focused on guard parings here)

911A1792-1158-49CC-8A5E-9AB48ED3548A.thumb.jpeg.48f9bc046b37aa5926d77d92b30d7e2d.jpeg

DJ and Trae have many of the same warts in their games and their preferences and dislikes overlap.  Delon never needed the ball, cut regularly, one of the best offensive rebounding guards last year, probed all areas of the floor, and had a passing style that literally forced teammates into aggression and high percentage shots.  Personality wise f&@k low maintenance he was no maintenance.  He draws and kicks more than them both combined.  He kept the ball over his head for quick overhead passing (one of my main gripes with Trae’s size at the point), faking passes, loved to swing it.  He was always talking and directing.  Immediately realized when to get off the ball and told whoever he passed to where it needed to go next if he had to get off.  I keep trying to impress upon fellow fans what a 126 offensive rating for a guard who never scores means.  He was more responsible for the 2nd ranked offensive rating last season than most will ever know.  The next highest rating in the last 5 years from a guard was Bogi the year before at 122 and he only shot .438 from three on volume with nearly 3 assists to one turnover.

Individual ratings against the team’s show who’s igniting good offense and defense, who’s pouring water on it, and who’s just carrying workload in a neutral manner based on what lineups they appear in.  Except for Cs who get unwarranted bumps in their offensive rating due to their high shooting percentages the shit jibes with eye test extremely accurately.  Mines anyway.

Obviously Delon being sidelined 4 games into the season isn’t ideal for the Wiz nor the Hawks had it happened here.  But his career defensive rating is 109.  That’s near C level impact on that end.  You say “benhilboy, the Hawks were ranked 27th in defense last season he wasn’t that impactful.”  We’ve gone over the give and take with Gallo and Kevin on the offensive and defensive side so that kinda explains it.  Clint wasn’t right all season either.  Anyone who could help ignite above average offense with Lou old ass on the floor deserves a resign I would think.

I don’t know the circumstances to him not resigning here, could’ve just been his preference or it could’ve been Nate (probably).  It’s not normal for a GM to play musical chairs with the PG position starting or BU.  I just rue the day it happened smh.  Dude was a coach on floor, when Nate tried to flex him out of the rotation I knew he wasn’t the man for the job.  Most contending team has a BU guard who can dominate the pace of second units and mesh with the first one.

These GMs just gotta make a media splash with signings not taking into account how skill sets, personalities, and tendencies fit.

Murray made sense from a value perspective. He's a top 25 player via all the metrics I've reviewed. Atlanta got him for a reasonable price. He wanted to come to Atlanta. It was a no brainer in all honesty. That said, the fit ain't there. I hope KAT injury isn't too bad and he misses a month or two, Minnesota needs to make changes and they are open to a KAT for Murray based deal with salary adjustments. 

I can't be mad at that deal when Murray WAR is a 2.0. His value is obvious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

But Trae and Murray DO work together, using the same criteria you just used.

The issue is when Dejounte or Trae is out there with another guard. This is why people must be patient and see if Bogi fixes some of our issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Last night the Hawks lost a game in which they held their opponent to 104 points.  And Trae Young had 14 FGA and 10 assists.  He was a facilitator rather than the superstar we have become accustomed to.  

If my research is correct (I think it is, but it was a quick glance), the last time they lost a game in which they held their opponent to 104 points or fewer and Trae had 10 or more assists and 16 or fewer shots was January 2, 2021 vs Cleveland when Trae had 16/10 on 16 FGA and they lost 96-91. 

I *think* that was during the infamous Trae / JC spat about how ball dominant Trae was.  And 2 months later they fired LP.  Will this also spell the end of the Nate era with Atlanta?  Only time will tell.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But Trae and Murray DO work together, using the same criteria you just used.

The issue is when Dejounte or Trae is out there with another guard. This is why people must be patient and see if Bogi fixes some of our issues.

Ah....but WHEN is Bogie coming back?  How patient do we need to be?  And how far behind will the Hawks be when he gets back?  IF he gets back?  

• Moderators

Murray hasn't fit yet and the turnovers are getting out of control.  That's the biggest but not only problem. 

Talking about flukes, last year's best offense in the league (or second best i don't know) wasn't real.  If you looked at fourth quarter offense we absolutely sucked and that hasn't changed. 

I'll go back to my assertion that even with Murray our wing core is bad.  Murray/AJ/Hunter/whoever isn't getting it done.   Which is why you see desperation attempts to get something out of AH, JH, Forrest.  

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We aren't clicking for whatever reason. It's not like we are far off. But we do have some systemic issues, including rebounding, shooting and 4th quarter execution. 

Yeah that's a great point.  Although 4th quarter execution is the one that seems out of reach since it's been a longstanding issue with this group/coach.   

But yeah had we hit a bucket to win this one then the reaction to the game would have been much different and everyone would have talked about how much better we looked. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

Per my source, which I know you love to hear 😛

Ressler wants to make a splashy HC hire if they move on from Nate which I honestly feel is a matter of when and not if at this point. I already listed the names I was given but there's more candidates they are looking at. The FO will 100% fire Nate before making major roster moves especially since everyone in the NBA knows the Hawks will not pay the luxury tax which limits our options.

Nate ran LP's system and sets that miracle half a season and playoff run. He didn't put in his own offense and coaching staff until after that. 

We can't beat the zone defense because we have zero scoring big men that can score in the low post. Our shooting and spacing are essentially not there. Breaking down by attacking the rim is our next best option unless Nate realizes we can run guys through screens to get Trae, Hunter and Griff free for three point shots. 

Its almost as if everybody but NBAsupes knew from the beginning that nate mcmillian is a terrible head coach lol. His staff is also filled with horrible options so they will not move on until the end of the season. The athletic wrote an article after last seasons playoff series and it was very telling of what the front office thinks of nate... he aint the guy and they will change in the offseason when only one year remains on his deal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Three in a row.  I believe the Hawks played better in this game than the other two losses.  Didn't matter.  We still lost the game.  Sixers made some "I don't believe he hit that shot" scores.

If we are to believe, it is only a matter of time before we have a new head coach.  As I posted before, it's easier to fire the coach instead of firing the entire team.  Some assistant coaches expected to leave with Nate.  Maybe even a clean sweep.

With a new coach, will Bogie "suddenly" be available?  Well, he's almost ready and Nate is almost gone.  I hope we add Mark Williams to the team.  

A new month and a new coach?  December is almost here.  Change?  We know not when.

🧑‍🔧Still building!

Funny you mention that scenario.  Because that's exactly what happened with LP.  Bogi was out.  But as soon as LP was fired, Bogi "magically" appeared in the lineup.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Murray made sense from a value perspective. He's a top 25 player via all the metrics I've reviewed. Atlanta got him for a reasonable price. He wanted to come to Atlanta. It was a no brainer in all honesty. That said, the fit ain't there. I hope KAT injury isn't too bad and he misses a month or two, Minnesota needs to make changes and they are open to a KAT for Murray based deal with salary adjustments. 

I can't be mad at that deal when Murray WAR is a 2.0. His value is obvious. 

Kat and gobert don't work at all but you think kat and capela will... yes they don't have trae but come on lol. this is a bit of an overreaction dont ya think