• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks -- GAME 1

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Damn.  I forgot NBA.com actually broke all of this down.   I actually physically watched every Julius Randle shot attempt to get how each player guarded him, including the help defense.

Here are the official stats, along with how long each player guarded Randle, or partially guarded him.

Player                   Min Guarded         Partial Guarded      % Defensive Time      FGA/FGM       Player Points

Collins                       4:29                          18.04                        36.4%                       4 / 8                   10

Hunter                      2:23                            8.50                         30.5%                       1 / 5                     3

Capela                        0:26                            1.70                           3.4%                         0 / 1                     0

Bogdanovic                0:41                            2.35                           5.9%                         0 / 1                     0

Young                         0:15                            1.26                           2.0%                         0 / 0                     0

Gallinari                    3:54                          12.31                         43.3%                       1 / 6                     2

Huerter                       0:45                            2.27                           7.1%                         0 / 2                     0

Snell                           0:07                             0.47                           2.5%                         0 / 0                     0

Williams                     0:15                             1.08                           4.8%                         0 / 0                     0

Okongwu                   0:01                             0.13                           1.8%                         0 / 0                     0    

And 2 of the shots he made over Collins were shots with Collins all in his face.  Randle got very few easy looks in this game.   I expect him to be much more on the block next game, and look for his shot in the post, or pass out of the post.

This is pretty neat, obviously a large sample would be needed for any real conclusions but still interesting.  From watching the game, I thought everyone did a good job on him and part of why Collins' stats look worse here is just due to random chance (he made more difficult shots with Collins guarding him).  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Skip Bayless and SAS embody the shift from sports content to a reality TV / click bait approach to coverage that ruined ESPN much like reality television ruined MTV.  It is really emblematic of a larger trend to news, politics, art...just a host of areas of life.  Worries me for how my kids will process things.  They have grown up where outrage tweets are the baseline norm for establishing the ground work for discussions.

There are still some legit sports writers out there, but when you look who in sports media is making the big bucks, it's the shock jocks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, AHF said:

Skip Bayless and SAS embody the shift from sports content to a reality TV / click bait approach to coverage that ruined ESPN much like reality television ruined MTV.  It is really emblematic of a larger trend to news, politics, art...just a host of areas of life.  Worries me for how my kids will process things.  They have grown up where outrage tweets are the baseline norm for establishing the ground work for discussions.

Kwame Brown calling a bunch of these posers out is youtube Gold. Recommend anyone take a look at those videos if you have a few minutes to kill. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Interestingly, in regards to SAS, I haven't found him to been nearly as obnoxious as Bayless on the Trae issue.  It's probably because he actually thinks Trae is a legit player and the Hawks are a young, up and coming team.  So he hasn't irked me the way Bayless does who just casts the Hawks and Trae aside as if they were last night's garbage.  

I don't listen to SAS regularly for the reasons you cited though.  I've just paid attention once the playoffs started.  Listening to his tears over the Knicks and adulation for Trae was fun.  Will be more fun if the Hawks continue to take care of business. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Interestingly, in regards to SAS, I haven't found him to been nearly as obnoxious as Bayless on the Trae issue.  It's probably because he actually thinks Trae is a legit player and the Hawks are a young, up and coming team.  So he hasn't irked me the way Bayless does who just casts the Hawks and Trae aside as if they were last night's garbage.  

I don't listen to SAS regularly for the reasons you cited though.  I've just paid attention once the playoffs started.  Listening to his tears over the Knicks and adulation for Trae was fun.  Will be more fun if the Hawks continue to take care of business. 

I don't know if it is legit or just staged but they often choose sides on a player with one guy going "hater ham" and the other being more of an advocate for him.  On some specific players or situations one or the other is much more listenable than the other and the other is usually over the top obnoxious.   That way everyone has someone to cheer and someone to hate when they debate.  ("I hate Trae and so love to hear SB own him, yuck, yuck."  "But I like Trae and can cheer when SAS pushes back on the over the top ridiculous attacks that SB makes."  The clash in opinions makes for cheap drama.  Rinse.  Repeat.)  It is hard to stomach but since it drives clicks and views that means it is better than lower key substantive analysis.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I don't know if it is legit or just staged but they often choose sides on a player with one guy going "hater ham" and the other being more of an advocate for him.  On some specific players or situations one or the other is much more listenable than the other and the other is usually over the top obnoxious.   That way everyone has someone to cheer and someone to hate when they debate.  ("I hate Trae and so love to hear SB own him, yuck, yuck."  "But I like Trae and can cheer when SAS pushes back on the over the top ridiculous attacks that SB makes."  The clash in opinions makes for cheap drama.  Rinse.  Repeat.)  It is hard to stomach but since it drives clicks and views that means it is better than lower key substantive analysis.

Unfortunately so true. 

• Moderators
On 5/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, bleachkit said:

Do you have the audio? Id like to hear that. No one blows a gasket like Steve.

"DENNIS Schröder FOR THE LOVE OF" oh, no not that one. Here it goes!

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Y'all see Chuckles knocked out 💤during the games that day? I knew all that time under the sun taping at the golf course was gonna catch up to him.

At least he was up and alert by the time Hawks-Knicks came on. No idea what Shaq was doing all day Saturday.

~lw3

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hold up, where is @benhillboy.....bennieeeeeeeeeeeee, where are you?.....did you see your role player hit the game winner?

I saw our Bigs shut down Randle by committee, Bogi with a solid all around game, and Lou’s torrid 13 points in 13 minutes spurt.  Of course Trae is gonna eat their wack guard battery especially if they don’t face guard and pressure him backcourt, nothing really impressive there.  I like how he didn’t force the issue  in the first half more than anything.

• Confused 1